Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Detecting spam

Generally speaking I am familiar with and can recognize email messages that are spam, aka junk mail. However, occasionally, like now, I have received an email from a sender I do not recognize. But, I have contacted a vendor and my bank regarding an issue I'm having with this particular vendor. (not Apple) Thus I might be getting a response from an individual at said vendor. Since I only see a sender's name in my Inbox and not the complete address, is there a way in which I can determine if this is spam without opening the email? Or perhaps there is a different way to display messages in my Inbox that I do not use but could switch to, at least temporarily?

Thanks if anyone out there can shed some light on this pesky issue.

I am using Mtn Lion, OS 10.8.5 (Yes, I know I need to upgrade.)

Mail v6.6

Safari 6.2.3

Desktop is a mid-2011 model

AT&T is my ISP which means that email is 'routed' through Yahoo to MacMail (I hope that's at least close enough in terminology to be understood.)

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 2:59 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric - I like the steps you provided. I figured there had to be something like that. However, it appears that I have to actually open the email message to view the header. I was hoping to be able to view the header without even opening the mail in question. If there is a way to do that, please let me know.

As I think I previously stated, I am generally aware of spam, phishing, etc. But since this one email might be from someone responding to me re my bank, I didn't want to automatically either mark as 'junk' or just delete it. Thus I was hoping to see the sender's address w/o opening the email itself.

I have to admit that viewing a header in a msg from a friend, I'm not sure I understand all the details. Perhaps if I studied it long enough I would figure out the relevant details.

For now I think I'm going to delete that email. If it truly is important, I would hope that someone legit would try to contact me again. Perhaps by phone. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Detecting spam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.