Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite install failed, can't get back to Mavericks

Hello,

So I tried to update my MBP 13 inch to Yosemite today and it said that the install failed and the MBP had to be restarted. I have restarted the laptop for 5 times but it keeps failing.

So I thought of leaving the update and going back to Mavericks, but it says the hard drive is 'locked' and I should enable 'Disk Journeling'. But when I want to enable Disk Journeling, the option is not clickable.

I have no idea what to do, I can't update to Yosemite, but I can't go back to Mavericks either. I don't have an updated TIme Machine Back up and no extra disk handy either. How can I get mavericks (or an other os x program back) without losing all my data?

Thanks in advance

- Sorry I now see this message is compeletely in the wrong category, but I have no idea how to change it as i have no permission.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 1:17 PM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Memorys

For Mavericks, on a working Mac sing into yur Mac App Store account go to the Purchases section and download the Mavericks installer. Make a biotable USB install device using

http://liondiskmaker.com/

Boot from that and install Mavericks. You will have to format and thus erase the HD.

You can try booting to Recovery and reinstall Yosemeite. You data may be retained. It depends upon what went wrong

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

On a working Mac yo can also download the Yosemite installer and make a bootable USB media and boot from that ans try reinstalling Yosemite.

BTW, this is the Mac Pro desktop forum.

Mar 3, 2015 1:52 PM in response to lllaass

Hey, thanks for that! 🙂

Erasing my HD is not an option at the moment, I have files on there which I really can't miss (I know, stupid that I didn't do a recent back up). Yosemite has never been installed in the first place as it failed, do you mean I should boot recovery (I am in that now - Command + R) and then Reinstall Mavericks and then I don't know if my data gets retained? Will the installer warn me if they have to erase the HD anyhow?

If I am in Internet Recovery Mode I get the option to Reinstall Lion instead of Mavericks, don't think it will matter which of the two I choose right?

Yes I tried to change my topic to an other category but it says I have no permission.

Mar 3, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Memorys

When you boot to recovery and try to download the OS you will most likely get Yosemite since likely the Recovery partitions has been updated for Yosemite. You have no choice of the OS to install.

What I would l do would be to attached a USB or Thunderbolt external drive that can be erased and then boot to Recovery and install the OS on that drive. Then boot from that external drive and try to copy data fom the internal drive.

Yosemite install failed, can't get back to Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.