Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), Serial # C86JP5Q6DM72, It was working fine but suddenly stop working, now I can not use it How I can download the current firmware. I can not get support because is an old equipment. Thanks.

null-OTHER, Windows 7, Aiport Extreme 5th

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 2:20 PM

Please checkout the following Apple Support article on how to update firmware on your Apple router. Although the article is written around OS X & iOS devices, you would still use the AirPort Utility to download firmware updates on a PC.

13 replies

Mar 3, 2015 5:59 PM in response to Pochofe

Full factory reset??

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Since you are doing this from windows.. it is absolutely no surprise that it is not working.

You did not factory reset if the led is green.. after a factory reset it will flash slowly amber. Please do the factory reset again..

After you do that use ethernet from the computer and ensure your computer is getting an IP 10.0.1.2 (maybe something else but normally 2).. and the gateway should show 10.0.1.1

Open a command window and ping the extreme..

If it fails to respond windows has automagically decided to move location to public or work. Force it back to home.

OR

It has slammed up the firewall.. turn off the firewall.. the airport must respond to pings.

When you complete the setup via the ethernet then disconnect and see if the wireless is the problem.

If you need to .. remove the AE from the network and plug it directly into the computer with ethernet patch cable. You can do this setup in full network isolation.

Mar 3, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Pochofe

Pochofe wrote:

When I tried to ping I get REQUEST TIMED out.

I TURN OFF THE the firewall.. the airport does not respond to pings

Also when I tried using the Airport Utility I have to rescan it does not work

In the computer make sure you have wireless turned off.. plug in the AE with ethernet to a LAN port. Full network isolation. ie computer plus AE and nothing else.

Full factory reset of the AE as I indicated.. make sure the front led is flashing amber slowly at the end of the boot.

Now check the ethernet connectivity LED is turned on.. both the computer and the AE small light on the port should be green.. if not it won't work.

Check the ethernet connection is set to auto and is getting the address you expect from the AE, ie 10.0.1.2

If all of that is working then you should be able to connect by airport utility to check the AE. If not you have major issue and it has nought to do with AE and is more likely a failure on the windows computer.

If something fails tell me what.

Mar 5, 2015 2:38 AM in response to Pochofe

Pochofe wrote:

I tried what you you said it connected but wifi did not work, I restart the computer then the airport express did not work., Do you think the AE does not work anymore

Where did the express come from.. this was a gen5 extreme..

If ethernet is working test the wireless with another device.. ask a friend with an iphone or ipad or macbook.. anything as long as it is apple..

If apple works on wireless and windows doesn't remove the wireless setup in the computer .. download the driver and reinstall with new driver.

Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.