Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select items to edit in crowded build slides

New to Keynote:

I'm doing build slides that have multiple text fields and graphics moving in and out. When I need to edit text items, they appear all at once and it's very difficult to select the one I'd like to edit. For example, a text field I want to edit may lie beneath three or four others when the slide is in edit view. When the presentation is played, of course they build in and out as needed and there's never a superposition problem - but they aren't editable during play.

Is there a straightforward way to separate or select these superimposed elements of a slide so I can edit them? Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), 2x mini i7 quad core, rMBP, iPad,

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 1:52 PM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2015 2:14 PM in response to ridgecritter

Selecting any object is easy, adding text however requires repositioning the object.

select all the objects on the slide (command A)

apply an effect to all the objects, this can be a temporary measure used only to allow selection of the objects.

(Inspector > Animate > Build In > Add an Effect)

show the build order list (Inspector > Animate > Build Order)

click the item you want selected

a selected shape, can be temporarily moved using the arrow keys to allow text entry, then repositioned again.

In the example below, shape 5 is selected to change fill colour to red:

User uploaded file

How to select items to edit in crowded build slides

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.