Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modified Dates and Times Don't Stick

When modifying dates and times in iPhoto with the "modify original files" checkbox checked and then exporting them, the modified dates and times are lost. Only the original dates are preserved. Apparently the modified dates are stored elsewhere. While I would expect that to be the case without the checkbox checked, it shouldn't be with it checked. Does anyone have any insight? I filed the following bug report at bugreport.apple.com.

Summary:

Latest (and previous) version of iPhoto fails to modify Exif data when dates are changed and "modify original files" checkbox is checked. While the change is reflected within iPhoto, the modified dates are lost upon export.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Import photos to iPhoto

2. Select one or more photos

3. Select menu Photos > Adjust Date and Time

4. Change date and/or time

5. Check "modify original files"

6. Save changes

7. Confirm new date and time in Info window

8. Export modified photo

9. Open modified photo with Preview

10. Select menu Tools > Show Inspector

11. Select Exif tab

12. Review date and time

Expected Results:

After modification with "modify original files" selected, Exif data should reflect modified date and time.

Actual Results:

Exif data is unaffected by changes to date and time in iPhoto. Therefore, exported photos lose modified date and time.

Version:

iPhoto 9.6 (910.29)

Notes:

A quick search of discussion boards shows this to be a long-term issue.

Configuration:

This occurs using iPhoto 9.6 or older on all hardware tested.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:01 PM

I can't confirm that. I've just tested on three images and the adjusted date and time are reported by Preview in the Exif tab.

What export setting are you choosing?

Edit: I notice from another post of yours that these are scans. Is that true?

5 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:39 PM in response to Yer_Man

You're right. I just happened to test this on a couple of images I'd apparently forgotten to check the "modify original file" box on. What bad luck! I tried other files and it worked. By the way, I may have said scans in another post, but they were close-ups of slides shot on a light table. They do have Exif data. Now I have to try to find any others I forgot to check that box on. Of course, iPhoto doesn't give you direct access to Exif and since the Finder doesn't either I can't just export a bunch and look at the file dates. I think I'll let it go. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Apr 22, 2015 12:54 PM in response to léonie

Mpolda is correct. In IPhoto, the user could adjust the date and time stamps so that photos from multiple people and cameras could create a seamless album of a trip. The photos could then be exported using the modified date-times so that the sequence remained in the correct trip order with the correct dates and times for each photo. That option is gone in Photo.

The album can be correctly exported when one uses the "sequence" option but the new date-time is the day the photos were exported. Not very useful from the perspective of maintaining the dates and times the photos were actually taken.

What a shame.

Apr 22, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Kimoj

The album can be correctly exported when one uses the "sequence" option but the new date-time is the day the photos were exported.

There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image file.

One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself.

The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported, e-mailed, uploaded etc.

Photographs have also got both Exif and IPTC metadata. The date and time that your camera snapped the Photograph is recorded in the Exif metadata. Regardless if what the file date says, this is the actual time recorded by the camera.

Photo applications like iPhoto, Aperture, Photos, Lightroom, Picasa, Photoshop etc get their date and time from the Exif metadata.

When you export from iPhoto/Photos/Aperture to the Finder a new file is created containing your Photo (and its Exif). The File date is - quite accurately - reported as the date of Export.

However, the Photo Date doesn't change.

The problem is that the Finder doesn't work with Exif.

So, your photo has the correct date, and so does the file, but they are different things. To sort on the Photo date you'll need to use a photo app.

Modified Dates and Times Don't Stick

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.