Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with WD MyBook Home Edition

Hi, I have recently purchased an second-hand external hard disk drive. Concretely an WD MyBook Home Edition 2TB. The question is that whenever the disc enters rest and the Imac tries to open any program, the first thing that the OSX does is to try to accede to the external disc and it does that the whole system slows down. Really the system stays in pause until the external hard drive wakes up. Whenever I try to open a file, save a file... almost with every action the system does I have to wait for the external HDD.

The External HDD is connected using USB port. I have a middle 2011 21" Imac.

Please, If anyone could help me accelerating the access or have any idea of what is happening. I would be grateful.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 3:00 PM

How is the EHD formatted? It it's not OS X Extended (journaled) then that is likely to be the problem.

If you have any Western Digital software installed to handle the disk remove it. The Mac system doesn't need 3rd party software to manage external hard drives.

User uploaded file

2 replies

Problem with WD MyBook Home Edition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.