Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes cancels manual drag and drop sync

I have a 4th Gen iPod Touch which will not sync with iTunes music that I manually drag and drop into the iPod.

When I drag music into the iPod, iTunes will sometimes update the iPod with the music, whilst at other times it tells me that the sync process is "cancelled", leaving greyed out music files in the iPod which will not update. Once this has happened, the storage space at the bottom of the screen shows there are no music files, just "other" file types. It is not possible to play any of the files whether the iPod is connected to iTunes or not, I just get a circle symbol with an exclamation mark in it.

I have the iPod set to manually manage music and convert the files to 128kbps (it's only 8GB capacity).

I have restored the iPod multiple times over the last two days and I still get the problem. Does anyone have any ideas how to get my music onto this iPod?

iPod touch, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 2:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2015 11:30 PM in response to grober101

I have the same problem. What I just now figured out is that I'm able to drag multiple files, albums or playlists to my iTouch in one single operation and the files successfully transfer and playback. However, once I drag a subsequent set of files, it seems to disable playback capabilities of ALL files loaded to the device and I get the exclamation icon or greyed out tracks that are subsequently dragged over. This has got to be a glitch! Seems the only current workaround is to select ALL the music you want transferred and drag to the device in one operation. You will first have to delete all tracks that are loaded/listed in the device (even greyed out or exclamationed), then drag the mass track set, albums or playlists in one single operation. Hope they fix this soon!!

By the way, I restored my device several times as well... the last time as a new device.

iTunes cancels manual drag and drop sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.