Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confused about stereo/mono

I recorded a video. On one channel I had an external mic and on another channel I had an internal mic. The internal mic was used as a back up. I only want to use the external mic. I bring the video to final cut x and it says it's a stereo recording. All good. I can see the levels different for each channel. So I want to "turn off" channel 2 as that's the internal mic. I change stereo to dual mono. Now I see both channels and and I can turn one off BUT. Before I turn one off, the levels are now the same for both channels, why is that? Am I hearing a combination of left and right on both channels? If so why am I not hearing any difference, when I turn one of them off? I would expect a massive difference but I hear none. Why is that?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 16GB RAM

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 4:40 PM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2015 3:47 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

OK, but why am I hearing the same thing no matter which channel I have turned on. I turn off channel 1, so I should be hearing channel 2 only, OK, then I turn off channel 2 and turn channel 1 back on and it sounds identical. Two different mics positioned in two different locations should not produce the same sound, should they?

Also, when I switch to dual mono and don't turn off any channels, which channel am I hearing in a stereo output?

Confused about stereo/mono

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.