Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine stuck in 'preparing'

Hello everyone

My time machine has been stuck in preparing for the last 3 hours, I'm leaving it with out doing anything with the hope that it might be fine by the morning, but I thought I would post what the time machine buddy widget shows me to see if any body can shed any light on the situation:

Starting standard backup

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: deskstar applications_1

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD

Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: deskstar storage

Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs|kFSEDBEventFlagReasonEventDBUntrustable|

Node requires deep traversal:/Volumes/Macintosh HD reason:kFSEDBEventFlagMustScanSubDirs|kFSEDBEventFlagReasonEventDBUntrustable|

Thanks

Ed.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:57 PM

Hi Ed,

http://pondini.org/TM/D1.html

11 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:14 AM in response to BDAqua

Thankyou BDAqua

I checked out the article above which was useful, and I'm pleased to say that after leaving it in 'preparing' over night, time machine has begun to back up, and is reading 3.5 of 8.3 GB

however

I am now getting this message stacking up one on top of the other (there are hundreds) in the widget:

"Unable to rebuild path cache for source item. Partial source path."

Does anybody know what this means?

Jul 28, 2015 3:50 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks BDAqua

TM is now trying to back up to TC, however it's saying that it needs 430gb but only 164gb available - it seems that it's trying to do a new back up from scratch and is ignoring the fact that TC is holding previous back ups.

My thinking is to remove the old back ups (?) and start over again. We also have 1 more mac backing up to TC.

I've already tried deleting backups within TM (note there's only 2 back ups showing as active but there's many behind these 2 greyed out), but this didn't work. I then tried mounting within Disk Utility as per here, however it won't load the disk image (it says resource temporarily unavailable).

And I've tried this, however I'm unable to open the disk image (again, says unavailable).

time machine stuck in 'preparing'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.