Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a key sequence (eg Fn ????) to wake up the PC? Looks as if everytime the mouse is twitched or moves on the desk, the PC lights up into life which is annoying. Thanks

Hi,

Is there a key sequence (eg Fn or Control plus a key) to wake up the PC? Currently every time the mouse is twitched or moves on the desk, the PC lights up into life which is annoying. Thanks

iMac, Magic mouse

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 3:45 PM

Not that I know of, I put my display to sleep rather than the computer and just tap the space bar on the keyboard to wake it.

5 replies

Mar 3, 2015 9:56 PM in response to pokey b

To rkaufmann87, thanks for the reply. When I select Apple -> Sleep, I think the computer goes to sleep. I did not know that the display only can be put to sleep! How does one put the display only to sleep? I always put the computer to sleep and it wakes up at the slightest vibration on the desk.

To pokey b, I am still using OS 10.6.8 and my iMac can be upgraded to 10.7. I am loathed to take it to the Apple shop to upgrade it to 10.7. I back my Apple every day and I can take it to the Apple shop for the upgrade to 10.7 but I am not sure about the restore process especially when I was advised (by Apple shop) that I will have to re-install all other software from scratch (eg Microsoft Office and various other programs & settings).

Mar 4, 2015 6:24 AM in response to alexander40

Something doesn't sound right. Why not do the update yourself? There is no restore involved. Do you have good internet bandwidth? My iMac is mid-2010 vintage and I do all the updates via DSL. I've had MS Office on the machine since new and no reinstallation of it, or other software, has ever been necessary (although MS has issued updates / reissues of Office but not in some time).

Re the sleep feature... If you go to System Preferences>Energy Saver you will see slider settings that will allow you to set the "Computer Sleep and the "Display Sleep" to different intervals, the extreme setting for each is "Never".

Mar 4, 2015 3:36 PM in response to pokey b

Thanks pokey b for the confidence you are giving me.

I have the same vintage iMac and will make double back-ups (yes, I rotate external drives every month) before updating.

Re the sleep feature, I am aware about the slider time for display and computer sleep and also found the key sequence to put the display to sleep but it does wake up at the the slightest touch of the desk. Many times I resort to switching off the mouse first then using the keyboard to put the computer to sleep. There is always plan B. Thanks for all your advice.

is there a key sequence (eg Fn ????) to wake up the PC? Looks as if everytime the mouse is twitched or moves on the desk, the PC lights up into life which is annoying. Thanks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.