Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MALWARE! How do I remove "SEARCHBENNY" from my desktop?

Malware got installed when I tried to download free clip art. (Bad idea) I have found instructions online for removal, but the second step, after "restarting holding the shift key" requires trashing the icon.

Problem.

It won't stay in the trash. How do I get this thing off my Mac?

Also, the link to Apple support to reset Safari takes me nowhere.

Instructions found online:

~~~~~~~~

Rather than "mymac", tell the OS version. Imagine "mypc" but no mention of the Windows version. My answer is for OS 10.9.5.

Try all of these steps....

– Restart while holding the shift key for 45 seconds. Log in.

– Look in Applications directory for "Reset Search" and /or "InstallMac". Trash both. Empty the trash.

– Reset Safari: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH17186

– Open "Activity Monitor" and select the "Process Name" column to make the list alphabetical.

– Select "InstallerT" process if it is running) and click "Quit Process", and then "Force Quit".

– In a Finder window, type "InstallerT" in the search and select "Name matches InstallerT".

– In the results, trash any file or folder with a name that includes "InstallerT", but not other folders in the pathway. Empty the trash.

– Restart normally.

After you solve this, AVOID ALL GRAB-BAG WEBSITES, such as Softonic, Softpedia, Soft32, download-for-mac, and CNET. They do not police their downloads well, so lots of adware gets submitted that is hidden inside the download. For example, if you want Skype, start at Skype.com, and be observant, so if a link takes you away from Skype.com, don't download from that site.

There are only two guaranteed safe places to download a Mac app: from the app developer's own website and from the App Store on the Doc.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:04 PM

3 replies

MALWARE! How do I remove "SEARCHBENNY" from my desktop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.