Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4: Reacts slowly to screen touches; all actions slow to activate.

Any action attempted on the phone is delayed and slow to respond or activate. It mimics a computer that has insufficient ram, only worse.

Touch the screen to type....and it takes several seconds before the letters appear in response to screen touch.

Activating all apps or functions, whether internal to phone or involve a web response takes 3-4 attempts...as if the activation has "timed out".

Includes simple acts like opening camera or accessing settings. All take several attempts and long time to respond.

I also suspect carrier is slowing me down, but that would not explain the slow "phone only" functions.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 4:24 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 4:32 PM in response to rpm4565

It's possible that the RAM on the phone is badly fragmented, and iOS must rearrange it constantly. You can clear RAM and it may fix the problem. It's unusual, but not unheard of, for this to happen.

• Double-press the HOME button
  • Kill each app by flicking its screen image up
  • When all apps except the Home screen are closed press HOME
  • Wait about 2 minutes for the shutdowns to finish
  • Turn the phone off (hold the SLEEP button until "slide to power off" appears, and do so)
  • Wait another minute
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears

Mar 3, 2015 4:36 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks. Been through that process several times. No effect. Had phone reset by Genius Bar and it seemed cured for a while, but soon devolved. Can't decipher a cause. My data usage is massive at present, but I regularly close apps via home button. Expect carrier to slow web response, but doesn't explain typing delays or phone-only actions.

Iphone 4: Reacts slowly to screen touches; all actions slow to activate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.