Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac keeps searching external drives for apps?

Odd new problem here.

Every time I choose right click and 'open with' for any particular file whether it be a movie, an image file or whatever my iMac wakes up all my 3 external drives spinning the disks searching before the 'fetching' for the suitable apps list is populated. This can create quite a time delay before I am able to open said file.

I have added all 3 external drives to be excluded from any indexing or search in Spotlights preferences yet this continues to happen. Even at random times when I am doing absolutely nothing the iMac wakes up the drives and there is some activity going on. One particular drive is the worst with nothing on it at all except an inactive clone of my entire iMac's hard drive made with SuperDuper and there are no automated or scheduled backing up processes set up at all.

Why does this iMac insist on searching external drives for standard Apple/Yosemite apps that are on it's own internal Fusion drive?

How do I tell the iMac to just leave them alone?

iMac, iOS 8.1.3, 27" iMac 5k Retina 2014

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:18 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2015 4:31 AM in response to xpirex

Every time you make that selection of Open With you are bypassing what OS X feels/thinks is the correct app to open any particular file. If you select the top most entry in the list that appears that is the default program assigned to open that type of file. When selecting Open With you are actually asking OS X to search all your drives for any app that might be able to open and display that file. So what you are experiencing is completely normal and expected.

If you know what app you want to use you can assign it to that type of file by selecting Get Info from that popup list and then in that dialog window chose which app to use to open that type of file.

iMac keeps searching external drives for apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.