Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting video into a master file, setting and file type

I have a 20 gb video in final cut pro that I have recorded in 1080p. The problem I am having is finding a format that will export the video into a windows friendly format, because I am trying to place this video on an external drive formatted for windows, I do have authorization to write and read on the external. I have already export the master file as a .mov. The external has plenty of room, but show an error message for the file being to big for that format type! What export setting is recommended for the master file export? Can I can the file type on file in another other then .mov and still keep the high resolution?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:33 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Brotherbear_inc

Brotherbear_inc wrote:

… finding a format that will export the video into a windows friendly format, … export setting is recommended for the master file export? …

A Master File Export from within FCPX is proRes.mov => little use on Windows, except you install QuicktimeForWindows (and some Windows users told me, they had to install proRes manually (??) - just hearsay, can not proof it myself)

So, for sharing a 'universal' file, choose AppleDevice1080, and in the following dialogue switch to 'Computer'

User uploaded file

this gives a well encoded h264.mp4, any PC from the last decade should read/playback.

Exporting video into a master file, setting and file type

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.