Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Problem with Time Capsule (Wi-Fi) and AT&T U-verse Motorola NVG589 (Bridge Mode)

I'm having a problem with my Internet connection. For some unknown reason it keeps cutting out every 5 min for about 5 seconds. The wi-fi signal doesn't drop or anything like that, just the internet connection stops working for a little bit and then its fine again (pages don't load, etc).

Here is my current set-up:

1. AT&T Motorola NVG589 - set to bridge mode as per instructions here http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17734 (followed instructions step by step)

2. Apple Time Capsule (latest model 2TB)

3. Motorola is connected to the Time Capsule through an ethernet cable.

I tried contacting AT&T and they just sent me a new Motorola router, I installed it, put it in bridge mode and still the same thing is happening.

I am thinking maybe there is some problem in settings or something. Airport Utility is showing everything in "green", no problems there.

Please let me know if anyone can help.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:36 PM

I know this article well.

I have spent many hours with this in the past....thinking that I could somehow bridge the Motorola. I could not do it, and an ATT senior tech with 20+ years of experience could not do it either. (He had a copy of the same article).

There may be errors in the article.

If you find a way, please let us know.

Meanwhile, you will have a much easier time of things if you configure the Motorola normally, and run the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode. The Time Capsule at my son's house has been "up" for about 2 months and not single drop since we gave up and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 7:36 PM in response to viktorsolstice

I know this article well.

I have spent many hours with this in the past....thinking that I could somehow bridge the Motorola. I could not do it, and an ATT senior tech with 20+ years of experience could not do it either. (He had a copy of the same article).

There may be errors in the article.

If you find a way, please let us know.

Meanwhile, you will have a much easier time of things if you configure the Motorola normally, and run the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode. The Time Capsule at my son's house has been "up" for about 2 months and not single drop since we gave up and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode.

Mar 4, 2015 10:20 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, were you having the same issue as I did? The internet connection would work just fine but drop every 5 min or so for a couple of seconds?

Also, if I were to set the Motorolla to it's default settings and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode then would I still be able to use it as my primary router? Meaning connecting through it, backing up my data, using the internet etc. (having the Motorola wireless off completely).

Mar 4, 2015 10:31 AM in response to viktorsolstice

I could not get an Internet connection for more than a minute or two at most before the connection dropped.

If I were to set the Motorolla to it's default settings and put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode then would I still be able to use it as my primary router?

If you setup the Motorola using default settings, and then turn off the wireless off on the Motorola, it will still be the main router. Remember that the Time Capsule will be in Bridge Mode.....and Bridge Mode means that routing is turned off.

But, you can still set up the Time Capsule to provide a wireless network, do backups, etc.

Mar 4, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the input Bob, it's odd because it seems like my internet connection is fine except for the dropping i mentioned earlier. Speed is good and everything. I really want to use the TC as the main router though since I have a bunch of devices (TV, Apple TV, PS4) connected to it.

If anyone else had this problem or trying to solve it would be great to hear you input here.

Mar 9, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ok, here is an update on how I decided to deal with the problem. I will include all of my troubleshooting step by step for easy reference.

1. At first I put the NVG589 into Bridge Mode and used the TC as the main wireless router. This didn't work as my connection kept dropping for no apparent reason.

2. Second, I tried to put the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode and connect it directly to NVG589. This didn't work as my connection would still lag out for 5 seconds about every 5 minutes.

3. Third, I bought an ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless AC2400 Dual-band Gigabit Router to try and substitute the TC in previous steps and see if it helps. Same problem persisted when I put the NVG589 into Bridge Mode and RT-AC87U as the main router as well as RT-AC87U into bridge mode and NVG589 as the main router. The problem was exactly the same as when I tried using TC initially so my conclusion was this is NVG589's fault of being not compatible with other wireless routers.

4. I looked around everywhere and came up with the only feasible solution possible (for me at least):

Currently I use NVG589 as my main wireless router. I works pretty well and even though it doesn't have the specs of TC or the ASUS router my WI-FI connection is pretty fast and stable. In order to have Time Machine wireless backups, I purchased a Western Digital My Cloud Drive that is connected directly to the NVG589. Everything seems to sync and work well together.

I know this is not the ideal solution most people are looking for. But it works for me. Patiently waiting for AT&T to start offering NVG599 (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28967809-NEW-U-verse-Gateway-Motorola-NVG599-WI RELESS-AC-AC1600) in my area. Once I get my hands on it will report back on how it will react to all the steps above and hopefully work well with Time Capsule.

Shoot me any questions you might have. Hope this was helpful for some of you.

Internet Problem with Time Capsule (Wi-Fi) and AT&T U-verse Motorola NVG589 (Bridge Mode)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.