Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to "lock" a chart reference

I use numbers to track daily activities for my business. Each row is a day and the columns each represent the different activities I track.

I use a pie chart to visualize how my work day is split up between these tasks.

Creating a year-to-date pie-chart was simple... Creating a chart from a footer row totalling each column.

HERE'S MY QUANDRY:

I like seeing a "today" chart as well... Since as each day passes I add a new row to the top of the sheet - I initially tried creating my chart from that first row. However - the following day when I add a new day (row) above the previous day - the pie chart reference stays with the original row I defined it as. I must be missing something... somewhere... (?) - I'd like to tell my pie chart to ALWAYS and ONLY reference the second row of the table. (b2).

I thought I'd be clever by adding another table with a single header (matching my primary logging table) and a single row and in each cell of that row referencing it's counterpart in the main table. Again - the references shift as soon as I add another row.

ARRRGgh!! I mean - yes... I can (and have) simply been redefining the chart references daily as a workaround. Pretty painless on the desktop version. Though on the iOS version - this is a pain. It would be wonderful if there's a way to simply tell that one pie chart to ONLY look at Row 2 for data.

Here's a screen shot:

User uploaded file

Hopefully this is something just so incredibly easy I'm overlooking it.

Someone - please make me feel dumb! :-)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 4:43 PM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2015 5:48 PM in response to jimcorbett3

Try something like this...

I made two tables similar to yours. The top one is name "Entry" then bottom one is named "Today"

User uploaded file

In the table "Today" enter the following:

A1=OFFSET(INDIRECT("Entry::A1"), 0, COLUMN()−1)

this is shorthand for... select cell A1, then type (or copy and paste from here) the formula:

=OFFSET(INDIRECT("Entry::A1"), 0, COLUMN()−1)

select cell A1, copy

select all the cells in row 1, paste

How to "lock" a chart reference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.