Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I keep itunes from automatically importing mp3's from other sources

I merge multiple files into single mp3 files. I used to be able to do this and add them to a folder to add to iTunes at a later point, at my leisure. Now, when I merge these into mp3 files, they are automatically being added to iTunes and it is driving me nuts. I use either internet explorer or google chrome. I have since deleted chrome as this problem started soon after I installed chrome. However, it is still automatically importing these files. I want to add them, but at a later point, not automatically. Any ideas on how I can make this stop?

Thanks.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 7

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:40 PM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:14 PM in response to hhgttg27

I am using "direct mp3 joiner" from pistonsoft. I have used this program for over 5 years and have never had this problem. However, now, when I join the files, it is automatically importing them into iTunes when it hasn't for the last 5+ years.

edit

I am importing into the same temporary file that I always have. I am not importing them into "Automatically add to iTunes"

Mar 3, 2015 7:18 PM in response to anotheronenow

I would check the mp3 joiner software's settings. Of the three ways in which files can be added to iTunes:

• File > Add File/Folder to Library...
  • Drag and drop to open iTunes window
  • Copy files to iTunes Automatically Add to iTunes folder

only the last of these can happen without direct user interaction. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the Automatically Add to iTunes folder and leave this open while the mp3 joiner is working - I suspect you'll see files appear in that folder and then disappear again as they are copied into the library. The other possibility is that you have another piece of third-party software that's doing the same thing - iTunes Folder Watch is a typical example.

Mar 3, 2015 7:27 PM in response to hhgttg27

I have used the "File>Add File/Folder to Library" ever since I got the mp3 joiner. It is adding it to the same file as I have always placed the merged files into. It is popping up there, and then getting sucked into iTunes. I just tried it again and It is not going into the "Automatically add to ITunes", it is only going into the temp file I created years ago.

Mar 3, 2015 7:44 PM in response to anotheronenow

Hmmm ... the only the possibility I can think of is that:

• something is causing Windows to open the mp3 files as soon as they are created, and
  • iTunes is set as the default program for mp3 files

This would result on the behavior you are observing, though I'm not sure what the "something" would be. It may be worth trying this:

• In Windows Explorer, select any mp3 file
  • right-click, select Open with and then Choose default program
  • Is iTunes selected here, like this?
    User uploaded file
    If so, try changing the default to Windows Media Player, make sure the "Always use the selected program ..." box is checked, and click OK.

Now try your mp3 joining process again - when it finishes, does the mp3 file now open in Media Player rather than being added to iTunes? Even if so, this doesn't really solve the problem as I would expect the mp3 joiner program to just create the mp3 file and not subsequently try and open it ... however, this might give an indication whether this a direction to go in (or not).

How do I keep itunes from automatically importing mp3's from other sources

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.