Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not enough memory using migration assistant - new 1TB iMac

I have just purchased the iMac 5K and it came with a 1T hard drive. When i try to import my data from my MacBook Pro using migration assistant it tells me that I do not have enough free space on the iMac. I am trying to move 220GB of data from the MacBook but it says that i only have 150GB available on the iMac?

Both the MacBook Pro and iMac are running the latest version of Yosemite. When I manually check the available space on the iMac it says that I have 1TB available.

Can anyone help its driving me mad!!!!!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:29 PM

10 replies

Mar 3, 2015 6:58 PM in response to minismith

Please describe in detail how the MBP and the iMac are connected together. My suggestion is to NOT connect the MBP to the iMac, connect the MBP's Time Machine backup HD to the iMac via USB and migrate that way. Also, you have Apple's complimentary telephone support for 90 days. Please call AppleCare if the problem persists.

The phone can be found in your area by clicking AppleCare Contact Info

Mar 3, 2015 7:46 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your reply 🙂

The two are connected via a network cable as i was unable to connect via my wifi connection for some reason.

Can you explain how i would connect to the time machines backup hard drive?? i don't have an external hard drive so i'm unsure as to what you mean?

I'm going to contact Applecare this evening but i was just putting it out there in case any body else had experienced similar issues.

Mar 3, 2015 8:06 PM in response to minismith

Using Wi-Fi to do a migration is a disaster, this can take a week (no I am not kidding) or more to complete. Using an Ethernet cables I have found also very unreliable. The only sure way of doing it is connect the Time Machine backup or bootable clone backup from the old machine to the new machine via USB. You mentioned you don't have a EHD, this tells me you have NOT been backing up. You have been incredibly fortunate to date but sooner or later this will turn out to be a disaster, at some point operating without a backup will catch up with you and you will lose all of the data on your computer, don't laugh it happens every single day to lots of people!

First thing tomorrow get yourself not 1 but 2 EHD's, one to backup the MBP! You can use Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support to learn how easy it is. Once the MBP has completed its first TM backup which could take awhile because you have 220GB of data to backup. When that backup is complete, disconnect the TM backup from the MBP, then connect via USB to the iMac and run Migration Assistant. Once you have completed the migration then re-connect the MBP's TM backup to the MBP and let TM do regular backups! Then connect the other new EHD to the iMac and use it as a TM backup HD. This sounds difficult but it's really easy and EXTREMELY smart computing.

Don't scrimpt on EHDs, get yourself high quality backup drives. The reason being backup HD's can (and do) fail, most of them time when you need them the most! I recommend buy OWC (www.macsales.com) Mercury Elite Pro series of EHD. Many experienced users on these forums will agree with me on these points.

DO NOT buy 1 EHD and try to share it, for many reasons, first it won't reliably work and it's cheap and shortsighted. EHD's are relatively inexpensive, especially when you consider how valuable your data is and how much you invested in your new iMac Retina!

Mar 3, 2015 8:41 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for your reply and through answer!! I have ordered and just waiting to receive my home cloud hard drive so I've got that covered, but your defiantly right I should back up more!

I was thinking that it was more something to do with the fusion drives and them potentially having not being configured correctly which is why it says I don't have enough space, but I'll definatley give your method a go and fingers crossed.

thank you for your time and help, it's much appreciated 🙂

Mar 5, 2015 2:59 PM in response to etresoft

hi guys,

i really appreciate all your help. tried to do a manual migration as suggested by rkaufmann87 but as i was transferring my music across iTunes told me i didn't have enough space again. I did some digging into the settings and it seems that i was correct in thinking something was up with the Fusion drive not being configured correctly. The iMac is saying i have two different drives, a start up (which is 150GB) and a second drive which is 1TB and is showing in the devices menu. So every time i try to migrate or install anything its going straight to the start up drive and ignoring the the second storage drive.

I've got on to apple and we are going to do a restore this morning and try to consolidate the two together. Fingers crossed that will remedy the problem, if not back to apple she goes! Seems i got a friday afternoon job, someone was keen to knock off work and get to the pub 😉

Thanks for your replies, i'll let you know how i go!

Mar 5, 2015 3:57 PM in response to minismith

Chill!!! maybe the terminology isn't correct but i did what you suggested. I understand how Macs work as I have had one for over 10 years and it just didn't feel right and I had a strong feeling that it wasn't the issue anyway (i tried everything!!) and it was a hardware issue. etresoft correctly pointed out the migration assistant SHOULD work, but as i stated it doesn't. Apple support have confirmed with me that the memory hardware hasn't been correctly configured and we are going to work on an internet recovery this morning.

not enough memory using migration assistant - new 1TB iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.