Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6: Searching Contacts returns email addresses

Using my iPhone 6, when I search for a Contact the search results return too many irrelevant results.

For example, I needed to call Comcast which is an entry in my Contacts list but I couldn't find Comcast easily. When I search for "Comcast" in my Contacts the search results will include every contact who has an email address @comcast.net. Either the function shouldn't return every email address at a domain or it should display at the top of the search results only the contacts that have a first/last name as "Comcast" then other kinds of results afterward.

What setting can I change to only search on names and exclude email addresses?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 11:04 AM in response to JoSaCo

Hello JoSaCo,

If your goal is to search for a list of contacts without seeing the email addresses, I would suggest you try the Spotlight search feature on your iPhone. I have mine set to show search results for Contacts, but not Mail. When you search for "Comcast" with these settings, you will see a list of names in your search results, not email addresses.

Search with Spotlight - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201285

Turn on Spotlight

You can enable Spotlight search for specific types of content, and change the order in which results are displayed by tapping Settings > General > Spotlight Search.

You can use Spotlight to search for content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. To use Spotlight, swipe down on your home screen to reveal the search field.

Search with Spotlight

Spotlight searches the content on your device for text beginning with your search phrase. It's not case sensitive, so you can use uppercase or lowercase letters and get the same results.

User uploaded file

Have a super day!

- Judy

iPhone 6: Searching Contacts returns email addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.