Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone to iPhone text messages only work on iMessage?

I am unable to see text messages on my iPhone 6 Plus from any of my friends that are using an iPhone; they come through on iMessage only.

This is VERY frustrating. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:39 PM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Shawnnafromwa

If you and your friend(s) have iMessage set "On", then (of course) messages will be sent/received using iMessage whenever possible.

SMS text messaging will only be done to/from non-Apple devices, or if one of you is not using an iMessage capable medium.

If you prefer to use SMS instead of iMessage (I could not imagine why anyone would want this), then Settings > Messages > iMessage = "Off".

Mar 3, 2015 9:08 PM in response to Shawnnafromwa

Shawnnafromwa wrote:

I want this because I have my iphone with me at all times ...

Want what?

The ability to send/receive messages to/from folks using iPhones? You have that ... that's what iMessage does.

The ability to send/receive messages to/from folks who do not use iPhones? You have that too. Your iPhone can SMS those folks.

The ability to send/receive messages to/from folks using iPhones but out of iMessage coverage? You have that too. Your iPhone will SMS those folks (as long as you have Settings > Messages > Send as SMS = "On")

iPhone to iPhone text messages only work on iMessage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.