Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2009 iMac freezing and ticking

Computer: Early 2009 24" iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB and a new WD 1TB Black HD.

Problem: iMac has been freezing and repeating an audio ticking noise.

First occurred: After updating to Mountain Lion over a year ago, but has gotten more frequent. This occurs when I'm streaming TV shows or movies online, or when I'm playing graphics-intensive video games.

Since this started, I've tried resetting the PRAM, replaced the hard drive (old one was also a Western Digital), done clean reinstalls of the OS, tried Mavericks and Yosemite, with additional clean installs of those OSs, but the problem still persists. It is now to the point that when it freezes and starts ticking, I do a disk verification after reboot. Some of the time, it comes out OK, but more frequently, it results in a failed verification and failed repair, causing me to erase, reformat and reinstall all over again. I've even installed Temperature Guage Pro so I can monitor all the temps and manually control the fans in case it was a heat issue. Nothing's overheating, and it's still freezing and ticking.

Does anyone have any ideas?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:24 PM

You might run The Apple Hardware Test from your original install discs. Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/aht.html

3 replies

Mar 3, 2015 10:40 PM in response to SeaPapp

Thanks for the tip! Funny, the things one doesn't think to try.

I didn't get anything on the regular AHT, but after having it run the extended one, I got the following error...

4HDD/11/40000004:SATA(0,0)

So, despite the brand new HD, it looks like there's still an HD issue. It might be time to suck it up and take it to my favorite Mac store.😟

Early 2009 iMac freezing and ticking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.