Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'Previous System' in Trash - won't delete

10.10.2 on Macbook Pro

For some time (since upgrading to Yosemite) I have had a folder in my trash called 'Previous System'. I have no idea how it got there. I've been "living with it" for months. When I attempt to 'empty trash' it will empty everything except this folder. I get the message:

User uploaded file

I click on 'Remove All Items' and get

User uploaded file

I click 'Continue' and the same message is provided for:

• Volumes
  • 2013-11-14-085217
  • Applications (again)
  • Volume (again)
  • 2013-11-14-192252
  • and so on and so on, cycling ad infinitum

If I open the Trash I can see the folder there, but there's nothing visible in the folder. Looks like there are some Time Machine files in there. Not sure what's going on.

In an attempt to solve this I have done all these (with no success):

• restarted and tried to empty.
  • used 'Safe Boot' (with Shift Key) and tried to empty.
  • used 'lsof' on the folder, found the process numbers using the file, killed the processes, attempted to empty. No joy. See below for what I get.
  • tried rm -r /Users/[myusername]/.Trash/Previous\ System
  • hold down 'option' and empty trash
  • Secure Empty trash

None of these has worked. The folder persists.

My lsof command provided:

$ lsof /Users/[myusername]/.Trash/Previous\ System /Applications

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME

UserEvent 2192 [myusername] 36r DIR 1,2 2992 10524680 /Applications

UserEvent 2192 [myusername] 39r DIR 1,2 2992 10524680 /Applications

Dock 2195 [myusername] 10r DIR 1,2 2992 10524680 /Applications

Dock 2195 [myusername] 12r DIR 1,2 2992 10524680 /Applications

I then killed process 2192 and 2195 but the dock process restarts immediately again.

Help! How can I empty this out of my trash?

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:48 AM

Type this command in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/Previous\ System" (without quotation marks) PLEASE NOTE: It will ask you for an Administrator password, and the password will not echo to the screen. Once the password has been entered, press enter. It will not indicate how much of the Trash it has emptied, so just minimize the window and check on it every now and then.

This command will permanently remove the folder "Previous System".

If that does not work, try this 3rd party utility: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it! It helps to force-empty the trash.

Hope this helps! Reply if you have questions or need any more help!

Best Regards,

OSX Enthusiast

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2015 7:48 AM in response to happyjunk

Type this command in Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) "sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/Previous\ System" (without quotation marks) PLEASE NOTE: It will ask you for an Administrator password, and the password will not echo to the screen. Once the password has been entered, press enter. It will not indicate how much of the Trash it has emptied, so just minimize the window and check on it every now and then.

This command will permanently remove the folder "Previous System".

If that does not work, try this 3rd party utility: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/8214/trash-it! It helps to force-empty the trash.

Hope this helps! Reply if you have questions or need any more help!

Best Regards,

OSX Enthusiast

'Previous System' in Trash - won't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.