Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install only iDVD from a start up disc

I was trying to make a slideshow in iPhoto and burn the slideshow to a DVD in order to play it on a DVD player at my nephew's Eagle Scout Court of Honor. I have OS X Lion 10.7.5 and have just realized that my system no longer has iDVD! My sister has a mac mini OS version 10.4.7 and still has her install discs. Can I install only iDVD onto my laptop from her start up disc and will iDVD be compatible with my OS? I am not sure how to burn a DVD of this slideshow otherwise. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am at my wits end! Thank you.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:05 PM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2015 8:53 AM in response to deb from so cal

I believe you're sister's disk would include iDVD 6 or earlier and you want iDVD 7 which is part of the iLife 09 or 11 package. An the disks wouldn't work in your laptop. You'd need a 3rd party application, Pacifist, to extract and install the necessary files from her disks.

Your best bet is to purchase a copy of the iLife 09 disk from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com or eBay.com and install from there. You want the 09 disk as that includes all of the available themes for iDVD. The iLIfe 11 disk doesn't include earlier themes.

Mar 4, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Old Toad

Thank you so much for your reply. Do I need all of the earlier themes included in the iLife 09 disc? I need to burn the DVD within the next couple of days and probably will not have enough time to order iLife 09 and have it shipped. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just a basic DVD copying capability would be fine……would iLife 11 be okay for that?

Mar 4, 2015 11:06 AM in response to deb from so cal

would iLife 11 be okay for that?

Yes. iLife 11 includes themes for iDVD 6 and iDVD 7 so you'll have a number to choose from.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Mar 4, 2015 11:51 AM in response to deb from so cal

No. Apple has stopped supporting iDVD, iWeb for over 2 years and stopped offering those disks around that time. You'll need to find one at a 3rd party retailer, either online or brick and mortar. If there's a local computer repair store that handles Macs they may have a copy. You will have to call around to see if there's any available locally.

Mar 5, 2015 8:39 AM in response to deb from so cal

There's a free video DVD authoring app that might work for you. It's called Final DVD Creator and is averrable at the App Store for download. It takes video files only but might work for you in a pinch.

You might be abel to get something done in the limited time frame that you have. There are other free DVD authoring apps at the App store you might look at also. Good luck.

How to install only iDVD from a start up disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.