Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 server master and replica setup

I have two Xservers running 10.6.8 server. I they are kind of synced as adding a user in one will create a user in the other. I want to setup a master/replica. I will also be doing this with my 10.10 servers when they are ready to replace the 10.6.8 units. Is there good documentation on how to check the status of this or set it up?

Also my 10.6.8 Server Admin is running like a one legged cat. Very often it will pop the error that it is not responding and say that the view needs to be refreshed with a network error. I have run permissions repairs, restarted, checked logs. See image below. Thank you in advance.

User uploaded file

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:26 PM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Unlimitedgeek

I've seen this error generally when Server Admin is left open for long periods of time on the server itself. It tends to become unstable for no apparent reason. Rarely see it when using the application remotely in my experience. I've also noticed this error when using the server's bonjour name (which I tend to avoid) rather than its fully qualified domain name (which is what I tend to do). Server Admin should never run like a one legged cat and if it does I would double-check DNS first, followed by permissions and/or the OS and/or the system drive's 'health' afterwards. But without being there it would be difficult to diagnose.

Guidelines on how to set-up an OD Master/Replica relationship should be outlined in the Snow Leopard Server Manual:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1180/en_US/OpenDirAdmin_v10.6.pdf

Chapter 4. Failing that I would look at the Open Directory Admin Manual for Tiger Server (10.4) because as I recall the subject is covered in more detail? It's been a while but basically both servers must be exactly the same OS, DNS as it should be, clocks are synced and SSH is enabled. Beyond that root should be used. Should be the same process in Yosemite although I would check with the Advanced Server Manual for 10.10 first:

https://help.apple.com/advancedserveradmin/mac/4.0/#/apdDC3BA60F-246B-43E8-AB24- F6419B32FF6D

It appears to be fairly limited in in the 'how' of OD Master/Replica relationships? Looking at the Server.App for Yosemite I'm thinking it's all done there?

10.6.8 server master and replica setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.