Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth input and output to different devices

When one pairs two Bluetooth devices to an iPhone, can the output go one device while the input comes from another?

The use of this is for hands free car devices.

When the hands-free device is not is use, the music should play through the car speakers.

When it is in use, the hands free device should be the microphone and the car speakers should be the speakers. Does Bluetooth on iOS support this?

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 10:56 PM

Hi hands4,

I'm actually using the Himbox HB01 as my Bluetooth receiver to play music over Bluetooth to my car stereo. However, I've found that the microphone is not sensitive enough for me, so I would prefer to use the phone's microphone. Have you found a way to output through Bluetooth while keeping input through the phone's microphone?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2017 10:56 PM in response to hands4

Hi hands4,

I'm actually using the Himbox HB01 as my Bluetooth receiver to play music over Bluetooth to my car stereo. However, I've found that the microphone is not sensitive enough for me, so I would prefer to use the phone's microphone. Have you found a way to output through Bluetooth while keeping input through the phone's microphone?

Mar 5, 2015 11:12 AM in response to hands4

Hi hands4,

The information outlined below details how to go about choosing which device audio is routed through, both for normal audio output (music to your car's stereo), and while on a phone call (in order to use your hands-free device).

Return audio output to iPhone. Turn off or unpair the device, turn off Bluetooth in Settings > Bluetooth, or use AirPlay User uploaded file to switch audio output to iPhone. See AirPlay. Audio output returns to iPhone whenever the Bluetooth device is out of range.

Bypass your Bluetooth device. To use the iPhone receiver or speaker for phone calls:

• Answer a call by tapping the iPhone screen.

• During a call, tap Audio and choose iPhone or Speaker Phone.

• Turn off the Bluetooth device, unpair it, or move out of range.

• Turn off Bluetooth in Settings > Bluetooth.

iPhone User Guide - Bluetooth devices

http://help.apple.com/iphone/8/

Regards,

Allen

Mar 5, 2015 1:26 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thanks, Allen. Your answer does not address what I am asking. I'll try to be more specific.

An aftermarket Bluetooth receiver is plugged into an audio jack for the car stereo.

An aftermarket Bluetooth handsfree unit with a microphone, speaker, and on-button is attached to the sun visor.

The iPhone is paired with both of these devices.

No phone call is active and iTunes is playing music through the car stereo.

A phone call comes in.

I push the on button on the handsfree device and it answers the phone.

iTunes mutes and pauses the music.

Now the difficult part:

The caller hears me through the handsfree microphone.

I hear the caller though the car speakers.

This is what happens when you use factory-installed handsfree Bluetooth interface.

The aftermarket the handsfree device would need a connection from its microphone to Bluetooth audio-in on the iPhone.

At the same time the aftermarket Bluetooth receiver in the audio jack would need to connect to Bluetooth audio-out on the iPhone.

Would iOS 8 support this?

If the iOS cannot support these split Bluetooth audio-in and audio-out connections, then this would be the next best alternative:

A phone call comes in.

I push the on button on the handsfree device and it answers the phone.

iTunes mutes and pauses the music.

The caller hears me through the handsfree microphone.

I hear the caller though the handsfree speaker.

The handsfree speaker has significantly worse fidelity and lower volume than the car-stereo speakers.

When the call ends, iTunes resumes the music through the car speakers.

Would iOS 8 support this?

Jun 1, 2015 11:25 AM in response to leonora.lee

I think the iClever® Himbox HB01 will do the trick.

Wirecutters rated it as the best in the market.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bluetooth-kits-for-every-car-stereo/

http://www.amazon.com/Wirecutters-HB01-Hands-Free-Convenient-Activation/dp/B00GJ FGE3W?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ca mp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00GJFGE3W&ascsubtag=WC28042

I think it works the following way. I have yet to try it myself but plan to do so soon.

It does not talk to the microphone through Bluetooth. It plugs into the stereo's 3.5 mm jack. The microphone is directly wired to the microphone/buttons/Bluetooth unit. You place that unit on your dash where in a location for optimum speech reception. It always connects its Bluetooth input and output to the iPhone The unit's audio output is wired to the AUX port. So it can play music through the AUX port when you are not on the phone. The microphone is always the iPhone's input. The buttons are used to answer or place phone calls, and control the music (pause, skip...).

For me, it will not cause esthetic problems. The center console in my Prius has the USB-power and AUX-in ports. I will run the cable from there, down next to my seat, across the rug, and under to the console near my steering wheel. The chord will be visible only dropping down from the console beside my seat and then from under the console a foot up to the microphone on the console. I will need 3.5 mm and USB-power extender cables to extend its 3' cable. (These two ports must be close to each other.) The extender cables will connect under the dash.

The battery life is infinite. It does not need a battery. It is wired to the USB-power port.

At least, that is how I think it will work.

For my cars that have not AUX ports, I plan to combine it with an FM transmitter that will provide the connection to the radio. FM trasmitters tend to generate some static, but I expect it is the best one can do.

Note, if the stereo is not in AUX mode, I expect you will not be able to talk on the phone or even know when a phone call comes in. You would have to disconnect the 3.5 mm cable from the iPhone to bypass that. This will not matter to me. My music comes from iTunes and streaming. My FM stations stream well and with no static (when I have a cell signal). Radio broadcasts are soooo 20th century. When I don't have a cell signal, all my iTunes music is on my 64 GB iPhone, so even that is not a problem.

Bluetooth input and output to different devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.