Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free upgrade to windows 10 on bootcamp

Hello,

do you know if it will be free to a upgrade a macbook pro running windows 7 to windows 10?

Thankyou

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:48 PM

46 replies

Mar 6, 2015 7:24 PM in response to dippypants

What device you have shouldn't make a difference. The original announcement was that any owner of Windows 7 and 8 will be able get a free upgrade to version 10 within the first year of its official release.

For the most part, Microsoft sells software, not hardware. They won't care if you have Windows running on a Mac, Dell, Sony, Acer, or whatever. You bought a copy of Windows and that's all that matters.

May 31, 2015 10:14 PM in response to dippypants

I got the free upgrade icon in my task bar ... i'm using windows 8.1 on the boot camp partition.

wondering .... if i choose to upgrade -- are there going to be booting issues or some problem with the boot loader ? i've got a late 2013 macbook pro.

what about the drivers in windows 10, would they be sufficient to get the macbook pro's hardware up and running ?

not sure if it's GTP or not. So far i've been using windows 8.1 and OS 10.10 with the boot camp control panel and haven't had issues booting into either OS in the past year (using both OS's at least once a day).

is Apple is working on new boot camp drivers for windows 10 ?

Jun 2, 2015 7:13 AM in response to dippypants

I have IMAC early 2008 running windows 7 32 bit and just received notification about the windows 10 update. Unfortunately I will not be updating as boot camp does not support windows 8 on this old model and I expect the same will happen with windows 10.

I also have the new Macbook air 2013 which is currently running windows 8.1 in bootcamp and the upgrade to windows 10 should be fine.

The main thing is windows 8 does not work on Boot camp on most models older than 2009 not I expect the same will happen with Windows 10.

Its time apple should be doing something by updating boot camp on the old macs so at least we can get use the latest version of windows OS.

Jun 2, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Neil12134

In today's paper:

New Windows 10 due at end of July

Microsoft will roll out the latest Windows operating system at the end of July.

The company said Monday that Windows 10 is designed with mobile computing in mind, allowing users to switch seamlessly between personal computers, tablets, smartphones and other gadgets. The operating system is intended to give apps a similar feel on all devices and comes with a new Web browser integrated with Cortana, the company’s voice-activated answer to Apple’s Siri.

Microsoft said Windows 10 will be available in 190 countries as a free upgrade on July 29 for anyone running Windows 8.1 or 7, the two previous versions.

So anyone who already owns Windows 7 or 8 will be able to get the official release of Win 10 in about 8 weeks. However, it's unknown how long it will be beyond that when Apple has drivers ready for their hardware, and which models they'll support.

Jul 2, 2015 6:26 PM in response to dippypants

I have a 1 year old mac book and have been running windows 7 with boot camp with no problems. I recently obtained a test version of windows 10 thru the windows insider program. Before installing windows 10 I used boot camp assistant to put the drivers on a usb. After installing windows 10 the wifi and blue tooth did not work. I load the drivers from boot camp assistant and everything worked. However, it takes forever to boot up....like 3 to 4 minutes. So, I don't know if its slow because its a test version or if its something else.

Free upgrade to windows 10 on bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.