Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU remains after clean install and new battery

My MBP 2011 is so slow that I can hardly use it. I did a clean install and new battery and use it without downloading any apps, no icloud or dropbox sync, no documents copied. What can cause this? I have a bigger HD which I bought and had installed in Africa but no problems at first.

The problem became unbearable after I upgraded dropbox and started uploading my pictures folder >100 GB.

At this point my mbp will turn off when connecting to power or falling / put to sleep when powered. When on battery I can put it to sleep. This however no longer solves high CPU problem as it did before.

Where to look for an answer?

thanks for tips/ideas/guidance

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:32 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 2:23 AM in response to mugisha

What application(s) is using a lot of CPU resources?

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Then try a Safe boot:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Boot into the recovery partition and select Disk Utility from the 4 option menu. Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair. If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced.

Run an Apple Hardware Test:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Note an error free AHT is not definitive.

Ciao.

Mar 5, 2015 10:37 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for your reply. Application using over 100% CPU is kernel_task.

• I had reset the SMC before but I did it again; no result
  • I reset NVRAM; no result
  • I did a safe boot; I wish I could always use this because it's so fast now!
  • First Aid>Verify gives me the following outcome, no option to repair:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”Verifying storage systemChecking volumedisk0s2: Scan for Volume Headersdisk0s2: Scan for Disk LabelsLogical Volume Group 3A9AF9F0-8BB9-4CBA-8847-6AF24E5FF6B3 on 1 devicedisk0s2: Scan for Metadata VolumeLogical Volume Group has a 24 MB Metadata Volume with double redundancyStart scanning metadata for a valid checkpointLoad and verify Segment HeadersLoad and verify Checkpoint PayloadLoad and verify Transaction SegmentIncorporate 0 newer non-checkpoint transactionsLoad and verify Virtual Address TableLoad and verify Segment Usage TableLoad and verify Metadata SuperblockLoad and verify Logical Volumes B-TreesLogical Volume Group contains 1 Logical VolumeLoad and verify A3CAFCC8-2952-4701-85BC-F777E1206152Load and verify 9EA5047B-B192-4299-AC57-062340A71F9DLoad and verify Freespace SummaryLoad and verify Block AccountingLoad and verify Live Virtual AddressesNewest transaction commit checkpoint is validLoad and verify Segment CleaningThe volume 3A9AF9F0-8BB9-4CBA-8847-6AF24E5FF6B3 appears to be OKStorage system check exit code is 0.Verifying file system.Using live mode.Performing live verification.Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.Checking extents overflow file.Checking catalog file.Checking catalog hierarchy.Checking extended attributes file.File system check exit code is 0.

I will now do the hardware test and report back.

Mar 5, 2015 12:11 PM in response to mugisha

I failed to do the hardware test because starting the mbp when connected to power requires holding the power button several seconds until the gray screen came up, so I couldn't hold the D key before (it would turn off again the computer) and a second later it was too late.

I remembered that in the past I did something with moving a file from IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

CPU is now ok, don't know yet if the other problems are solved so I'm gonna try now to put my mbp to sleep and see if it will shut down, and see if it shuts down when connecting to power. And if I can properly start up my mbp when powered.

Mar 5, 2015 12:24 PM in response to mugisha

Computer wouldn't go to sleep, shut down instead. Starting again also took me several seconds, pressing the D firstly shut it down. Second attempt holding the D and trying to start for many more seconds. Still not a chance to get into the hardware test, just normal boot. CPU problem solved, but electricity problem is driving me nuts...

High CPU remains after clean install and new battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.