Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Insanelly slow after keyboard replacement

The keyboard got watered, eventually the computer did not even turn off... took it to a local tech store, they showed me how the unibody was built. It needed the whole part replaced (keyboard, touchpad, the whole front part) Lucky for me they had a used spare part.

When I got it back, for some reason the laptop runs very very slow, like if something is taking all resources (ram, processor, etc) out of it. I already ran the system monitor, already ran the disk utility, boot up and ran the fsck command. Is still very slow.

I am thinking if a factory restore will solve the problem... I bought it with mountain lion, then upgraded to the most recent ios.

Any advice on what to do?

One quick thing... if I shut down the computer, it takes too much time, before shuts down a bunch of command lines come up but very very slow... line by line it takes minutes to shut down... at the time of power up, and interrupt with the <Command><S> to use the fsck command, it runs quite good.

Thanks in advance.

RG

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 1:39 AM

9 replies

Mar 4, 2015 2:30 PM in response to RGH1971

Two possibilities:

1) Bad/incompatible keyboard

or more likely:

2) "The keyboard got watered, eventually the computer did not even turn off."

How long ago did this happen? So when the "keyboard got watered," more than likely the logic board was also involved. It just took a while for symptoms to show up.

Here's my standard "liquid spill response":

"Whenever a liquid spill occurs the first thing that has to happen is the laptop should be shut down immediately. All power must be removed as soon as possible. It is especially important that the battery be disconnected and removed.

All affected parts must be removed from the laptop. No attempt should be made to start/restart the computer since this could potentially damage the logic board beyond all repair.

Then all affected parts would be washed in deionized water and blown dry with compressed air. (In a water spill the deionized water is probably not as critical. Depends on the mineral content of the water.).

This is especially true of the large chips on the logic board. Liquid can wick under them and cause havoc for weeks if not months after the incident.

The logic board should be placed in a drying/dehumidifing oven for at least two days. Longer depending on the spill.

The keyboard is a separate matter

"

Mar 6, 2015 9:04 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Hi, done as suggested... still the same slowness. Based upon your suggestions I think I've got an incompatible replacement part.

I can not explain myself the slowness if the laptop has the same memory modules and harddrive with no issues at all.

I have done all diagnostics, all boot options and still have the problem.

Even if I try to boot to recover, it gets slow, so I rather take it back to the tech center to see if they can get the right part number.

I sincerely appreciate your support and suggestions.

Thanks !

May 22, 2015 7:46 AM in response to RGH1971

I just replaced mine and had the same issue. It would technically boot and go into OSX and the keyboard and mouse would function but the system was running the fan and incredibly slow. It took about five minutes to launch the terminal and check diagnostics. What I found to be the issue was a fault connection from the cable from the keyboard and touch pad assembly. I reseated them correctly and everything was fine after that.

If you have this issue, I would check your connections and ensure that you haven't crimped one of the ribbon cables, it's quite easy to do.

Macbook Pro Insanelly slow after keyboard replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.