Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ear phone whistling on my iMac

When using ear phones on my iMac I get a loud whistling cancelling out the sound.

Makes no differences using different ear phones. Is this likely to be hardware or software issues?

Thanks, John

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), purchased 2012

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 4:36 AM

Have you tested more than one pair of earphones and have you tested those earphones on different devices. If the earphones work on one device but not the computer then you know the problem is with that computer and I can't think of any software reason it would happen.

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 7:18 AM in response to johnfromcobblers

The only easy way I know of to test an audio jack is to plug in a known working pair of buds or earphones and see if they work. To see if it is a software issue (which I doubt) try rebooting in safe mode (hold the shift key immediately after you restart the computer). Only the bare minimum needed drivers will be loaded so if you do have some software interference this would probably remove it. I assume the earphone is soldered to the logic board - it is on every other computer modern computer.

Ear phone whistling on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.