Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 bluetooth in car: calls are fine but no media/music

I bought an iPhone 6 last week and am trying to pair it so that it works in my VW 2014. I have managed to pair it so that the car recognises the phone, and I am able to make phone calls via the bluetooth kit that came with my car but I can't get my music from my phone to play though the media system in the car. Apple told me that it's possible that my car's software needs updating since the phone came out *after* the car, however VW have been useless on the phone, and before I book my car in and take 1/2 day off to do so! I'd like confirmation that this is indeed the issue. VW have told me that no other customer has had this issue with the iPhone 6; I'm thinking (how old is their car? and "are you sure")?

Does anybody else know about this incompatibility issue, re: if your car's software is not up to date for the new phone, the phone simply won't work? I'm baffled as to why my bluetooth connects and I can make calls (haven't received any yet) but why I can't get the Media system in the car to recognise the phone.

Best wishes...

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:11 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 3:33 AM in response to Psych13

Hi

Have you checked that the type of radio bluetooth installing in the car can take music media? Some bluetooth stereos are limited as to wether they only handle calls or can do both calls and music.

This might help but most of the time it comes down to updates of the car rather than the iPhone

Get help using your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with your car stereo - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Psych13

Ok-so I've spoken to VW and they said that the software update for the iPhone 6 has not come out yet and so they cannot update my software in my car. At least I now know!

My new Q is this: can I connect my old iphone 3gs (which worked fine in my car) to my car's stereo system, and listen to music that way, and at the same time, have my new iphone 6 paired with the bluetooth in my car so that I can make phone calls? Would there be any interference if I have both phones in the car: one to connect via the lead to my glove compartment for music, and the other phone, sitting on the seat (wirelessly) via bluetooth for phone calls?

Mar 4, 2015 3:54 AM in response to Psych13

Ok i know quite a few people having trouble with VW software i think they are just a little bit slow behind apple and updating!

As for the next question if the old phone is plugged in then i should see why this can't work the bluetooth calls should just dip whatever is playing wether it radio or AUX etc. and take over. It may just be a case of a quick test by playing some music and get someone to test call you and see!

Hope this helps

Mar 4, 2015 4:18 AM in response to JAH1294

Hi JAH-the problem is definitely with the new iPhone not being compatible with the software in my car; I *was* able to play music through my car speakers using my iPhone 3gs, but the new iPhones have software in them that the cars haven't yet updated in their systems. I will have to test out what happens when I play music from my 3gs and as you say, have someone test call me....I'll report back when I have a chance to do the test:).

iPhone 6 bluetooth in car: calls are fine but no media/music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.