Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modify functions greyed out

All of the modify functions (Speed, Fast Forward, etc) in iMovie 10.0.6 are greyed out. Why?

I've spent many hours researching this question but have got nowhere.

I deleted three iMovie plist files and reinstalled the application, all to no avail.

Does anybody have an idea what the solution might be?

Nick

My system:

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009)

2,93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB

OS X Yosemite (10.10.2 (14C109))

iMac 9.1 Intel 4 GB Memory, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 2:39 AM

13 replies

Mar 4, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Snig

To have these functions available you have to have a project open in the timeline and a clip selected (yellow border). Depending on the type of clip only those functions that are relevant will be available and the others will be greyed out. For example, if a still is selected, stabilisation, volume, noise reduction, speed and video& audio effects will be greyed out whereas color balance, color correction and cropping will be available.

Geoff.

Mar 4, 2015 7:39 AM in response to NicKenn

OK, sorry, I was thinking that you were referring to the icons above the viewer. It appears that you want to modify just the selected part of a clip. These Modify functions only operate if a complete clip is selected. To modify only a part of a clip you need first to split the clip at the beginning and end of the part you want to modify so as to create 3 clips. If you now select the middle one the Modify options should be active.

Geoff.

Mar 4, 2015 7:54 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

Thanks again, but still no joy.

I had tried marking a whole clip (see screenshot example) previously but the speed icon above the viewer pane did not react, nor did the functions in the Modify menu.

According to iMovie Help, it should be possible to adjust the speed of part of a clip (See the excerpt below).

Regards

Nick

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 4, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Snig

Yes you are right - its strange - I tried it out on one of my videos and when I made a selection the Modify controls were greyed out. - hence my conclusion. I've just tried again and this they remained active for the selected part of the clip as indicated in Apple help.

So I tried some other things. I notice that you have a wrapping timeline. I didn't have wrapping timeline selected. When I went to View - Wrapping Timeline the Modify controls were always greyed out whatever I did. After more messing about it seems that the Modify controls are only active if:

- View - Wrapping Timeline is not selected

- One has last clicked in the timeline pane (i.e. the timeline pane is 'active')

I discovered the second condition because I saw that your project icon in the Event pane was outlined in yellow. You must therefore have last clicked in the event pane. If you click in the timeline pane the border around your project icon in the event pane will turn white.

I'd be interested to learn if you find the same behaviour.

Geoff.

Mar 4, 2015 8:50 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

Yes, yes, you're right. It works with the timeline 'unwrapped' !

It doesn't make sense to me why this should be and you have found something that, if mentioned anywhere at all, is very well hidden.

On the issue of the yellow-marked project icon: I cannot reproduce the appearance in my second screenshot where both this and a clip or part thereof in the timeline are bounded in yellow. If I mark the project icon and then move the cursor into the timeline the thick yellow border turns to a thinner white one. This behaviour is independent of the Wrapping setting.

Anyway, you have solved my problem. This is a great relief. Thanks a million.

Nick

Mar 4, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Snig

I too have been playing around a bit more and you can get what you have in your screen shot if you select your project icon then move the cursor somewhere else in the event pane.

I had a quick look in the help files at http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0/#

and could not find any reference to wrapping timeline at all. Indeed there appears to be no reason why the Modify menu actions are greyed out. The icons above the viewer are still active when in wrapping timeline. It would seem that this is a bug.

Geoff.

Aug 24, 2015 7:05 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff,

I am having the same problem except that I don't have wrapping timeline enabled (it is actually greyed out itself and don't know how to toggle it). The speed icon is greyed out but if I select a clip or portion of it with the white border, then in the Modify menu, only Slow Motion is available yet choosing one of the three options 50%, 25% or 10% does not do anything and the speed icon remains grey. The other menus (FF, Rewind and Instant replay are all greyed out)

iMovie 10.0.9

OS X 10.10.5

iMac 27"

Any ideas?

Cachi

Modify functions greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.