Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP'10 Display Goes Black and Heats Up When Closed

Hello,

I'm running a 2010 MBP running 10.10.2. Within the past couple months I have been having issues with the display randomly going black, as if it were sleeping, but the indicator light on the front is off and the computer is unable to be used unless I force shut it down and turn it back on. Also, when the clamshell is closed it will randomly begin heating up and get super hot. Both of these problems have been getting progressively worse and just yesterday I had to force shut it down multiple times and felt it heat up when closed. I replaced the battery because of cycle count, thinking it would fix it, but it continues to happen. I tried to reset the SMC, but when I hold Shift+Control+Option+Power for 5 seconds, it just boots up and I see no light change on the power cord.

Is this likely a software issue or a hardware issue?

Thank You,

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 5:44 AM

10 replies

Mar 4, 2015 8:54 AM in response to EKKsoldier622

" I tried to reset the SMC, but when I hold Shift+Control+Option+Power for 5 seconds, it just boots up and I see no light change on the power cord."

Yah, sometimes that keyboard command sequence doesn't work.

So do it the old fashioned way:

Remove power adapter, unplug battery, hold power button for 3 minutes, wait a minute, replug and power on.

See if that changes anything.

It could also be a bad battery. I just had a 2010 MBP 13" that would keep going to sleep and would only wake up for a few seconds. I swapped out the battery and it ran fine. But, I put the original battery back in and it also ran fine but at that point I didn't trust it anymore so I kept it swapped out and returned it to my son.

Apr 11, 2015 11:42 PM in response to EKKsoldier622

" I have been having issues with the display randomly going black, as if it were sleeping, but the indicator light on the front is off and the computer is unable to be used"

First try some tests:

When the display goes black, use a flashlight and look carefully to see if the desktop is still there.

Try running the brightness all the way to zero (f1) and increase it slowly (f2)

Apr 15, 2015 10:30 PM in response to spudnuty

After my last post I restored my mac to my last saved backup (which I just done just prior to restoring the mac). After restoring it I noticed some of the custom app icons I had changes were returned to default. I left this alone and functionality was normal and without incident. Using Liteicon, I changed some of the icons back and the problem began again. After returning the app icons to normal and deleting liteicon, the problem has gone away again.

How the app and folder icons caused such a problem is a mystery to me, but everything seems to be going to sleep and resuming function as normal.

MBP'10 Display Goes Black and Heats Up When Closed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.