Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will iphoto continue to update for new cameras

will iPhoto continue to update to accept raw files from new cameras

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:39 AM

I'll take a wild guess and answer on the basis that you mean in this in the context of the new Photos app.

For the time being, it's safe to guess that it will. But sooner or later one of two things will happen:

1. A new version of the OS will stop iPhoto running

or

2. Raw support will require Photos.app

I think you can assume that the situation will be unchanged at least as long as we have the 10.10 OS. Once that is superseded it's hard to predict.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2015 8:39 AM in response to daggerrh

I'll take a wild guess and answer on the basis that you mean in this in the context of the new Photos app.

For the time being, it's safe to guess that it will. But sooner or later one of two things will happen:

1. A new version of the OS will stop iPhoto running

or

2. Raw support will require Photos.app

I think you can assume that the situation will be unchanged at least as long as we have the 10.10 OS. Once that is superseded it's hard to predict.

Mar 4, 2015 10:53 PM in response to Old Toad

OT

That's not necessarily the case. Recent Raw updates (including the lifetime of Mavericks) have stipulated iPhoto 11 as part of the minimum requirements, even though other versions of iPhoto run. So, it's quite possible that we will find a situation where iPhoto runs but does not meet the requirement to run a Raw update.

Mar 5, 2015 12:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

So, it's quite possible that we will find a situation where iPhoto runs but does not meet the requirement to run a Raw update.

We have seen similar cases with Aperture, that new RAW support listed the latest Aperture versions as requirement for the RAW update.

The Aperture RAW support page (http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html) is more explicit than the Yosemite RAW Support page (OS X Yosemite: Supported digital camera RAW formats - Apple Support)

On the Aperture page I am seeing for example these footnotes for certain RAW cameras:

RAW Support Requirements

Aperture 1.5 or later with Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger or Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard or later.

* Requires Aperture 2 or later with Mac OS X v10.4.11 Tiger or Mac OS X v10.5.2 Leopard or later.

** Requires Aperture 3 or later.

*** Requires Aperture 3.4 or later.

**** Requires OS X Yosemite and Aperture 3.6 or later

will iphoto continue to update for new cameras

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.