Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a USB external DVD writer?

The G4 we have does not have a working optical drive. I assumed that an external drive would not work as we don't have a firewire external drive. This past week when reading the Mac OS Leopard for Dummies, I came across a paragraph that said a USB external could be used. I have a fairly new one , a Samsung USB external dvd writer. If I connect it though, the drive makes sounds but is never recognized by the Powerbook. Is there software for Macs that I need to make it work?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:53 AM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2015 10:57 AM in response to JeriGn

There may be a matter of correct and current drivers in the OS X for the late model

external Samsung USB optical drive, for compatibility. Does the product nomenclature

suggest which Mac OS X versions it may be used with? If Leopard 10.5.8 is not stated

and if there is mention of Intel-based processors, then your old PPC G4 can't use it.

Usually the peripheral vendor or manufacturer may state on the package, its limits.

The change from PowerPC to Intel-based Macs left two groups of almost parallel

development at a time, so most newer items for Mac, especially USB support for

old computers, is not so likely. A newer model Samsung optical USB external drive

would be fairly matched with a newer Intel-based Mac, but not PowerPC G3/G4/ etc.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

There may be a useful older software in a free version of Burn. This item may not work

with the newer Samsung, but usually works (if you get correct version for Mac + OS X)

and can be helpful with other localized burn software won't work... No guaranties.

If Samsung states on their product package, their product may be compatible with older

Mac OS X versions, and in with the PowerPC computer hardware build series, then it

may be able to work under certain (undisclosed?) circumstances. But it probably won't.

Sorry to not be able to offer a support reply of definite yes or not, for a non-Apple product

and for an obsolete hardware/system question. FireWire400 would be the best bet.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 5, 2015 7:25 PM in response to JeriGn

So that means an Intel-based Mac built from about 2006 forward

that does not have a PPC G3/G4/G5 processor, & cannot run an

OS X newer than Leopard 10.5.8. [Hardware also limits software.]

At least they did say on the package the product would not work

with an older architecture Macintosh before Intel processors...

As was alluded to in the earlier reply.

There are some good examples of FireWire external products online

at the macsales.com OWC site; optical drives, SSD, HDD, & other.

Their specs for FireWire tell to what level compatibility to expect.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Using a USB external DVD writer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.