Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

songs skipping on playback

Hi

Since I've updated to the latest Itunes update I have found that songs that i've download from Itunes when playing back on laptop, sound bar or burned to CD some of the songs are skipping/stuttering. I 'm sure on the update there was also an update to stop this but it doesn't seemed to have worked. Any suggestions please. Thanks

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 3:45 AM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2015 4:09 AM in response to quietbird

Possible remedies:

• Check that you have the most recent version of iTunes (12.1.1.4 - released Feb. 18). The previous release (12.1.0.71) was widely reported to have significant playback issues, varying from "static" and stuttering to complete lack of output. The 12.1.1.4 release seems to fix most of these issues, in some cases in conjunction with the points below.
  • Check the setting of Play Audio Using in Edit > Preferences > Playback (you'll have to restart iTunes for changes to take effect). iTunes 12.1 sometimes defaults this to "Windows Audio Session" rather than "Direct Sound" where (for most users) the latter works better. In some cases, the 64-bit version of 12.1.0.71 did not have the Direct Sound option available, particularly with Windows 8.
  • Check that you have the latest version of QuickTime (7.7.6) installed. Several people have encountered issues if QuickTime is out of date or has not been installed. This issue seems to affect Bluetooth audio devices though may not be exclusive to these.
  • There's an alternative installer here: iTunes 12.1.1 for Windows (64-bit — for older video cards) - some users have reported that installing this has addressed playback issues in the "standard" 64-bit version. The "for older video cards" is a something a misnomer - like most prior "64-bit" releases of iTunes, this is a 32-bit application with a 64-bit installer. The "standard" 64-bit version (12.1 and 12.1.1) is a full 64-bit application, but there appear to be a small number of possible incompatibilities between these and some 64-bit Windows systems.

songs skipping on playback

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.