Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Select Default iSight Cam with Dual LED Cinema Displays

Hello

I have two 27in LED Cinema Displays, both of which have iSight Cameras. When I try to facetime, by default, the right monitor camera turns on, but I want to use the left camera.

How do I select which camera on which monitor I want to use? Both monitors are connected via thunderbolt. I'm using OS X Mavericks.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:01 AM

I forgot to mention, that for every application, when I try to select the camera, it only lists ONE iSight Camera. I'm seemingly unable to select the other camera on the other LED Cinema Display.

6 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Keyogi

You can try the old trick of first launching a camera app that you do NOT want to use - QuickTimeX > New Movie Recording perhaps - to have it engage the ONE display iSight camera. After you can see that your camera is engaged with the unwanted app, you can hide that app if desired. Then launch FaceTime and see if the other connected camera is accessible to FaceTime.

If FaceTime cannot then recognize the second Display iSight, check your System Information utility to see if your Hardware > USB > USB Device Tree recognizes both Display iSights. If the device tree recognizes only one Display iSight, your lowest cost workaround may be to connect a Mac-compatible webcam to one of your available USB ports so it is recognizable . The external camera may then be selectable in your FaceTime menu without the two-application trick.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.2

Mar 4, 2015 10:07 AM in response to EZ Jim

Thanks so much for your response EZ Jim

I messed around and clicked on the "This solved my question" link and didn't mean to as my situation isn't solved at all.

Your advice was dead on....the device tree only recongnizes ONE Apple Display iSight, but only one of the Apple LED Cinema Displays are listed as well, but I'm using both monitors with no problems. Even when I look at the System Preferences, Both Displays are listed.

The two application trick didn't work. Both applications showed the same Camera feed.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions though. I'm now wondering why the second Display isn't showing up in the USB Device Tree.

Mar 5, 2015 7:40 AM in response to Keyogi

You're welcome, Keyogi.

Keyogi wrote: ... The two application trick didn't work. Both applications showed the same Camera feed...

Then you are left to try the Mac compatible external USB cam suggestion or contact Apple for other ideas.

Keyogi wrote:.... I'm now wondering why the second Display isn't showing up in the USB Device Tree.

Must be the way the hardware handles signals in Thunderbolt or the way the software is written. If you want a definitive answer as to "why", contact Apple for an authoritative explanation.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.2

Select Default iSight Cam with Dual LED Cinema Displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.