Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Car charging (12V) to Macbook Pro Magsafe 2

There seems to be numerous discussions (all of them old) about the best way to charge a new Macbook pro (2013 onwards) with magsafe 2 (T connector) in a car. However I cant seem to find the definitive answer or an up to date one.

Have a client that needs to supply all sales reps with compatible car chargers to their Macbook Pro using the cigarette lighter (12V)

Seems many of them on the market cant cope with the draw of the 85W that the power supply needs.

I have seen a few available like this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-In-Car-Charger-MacBook-Display/dp/B00BJ97H7A#cu stomerReviews

or this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009G1B22O/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creat ive=390957&creativeASIN=B009G1B22O&linkCode=as2&tag=jun0e-20&linkId=DOQ7Q332W25D IHND

The first one looks the best but I was wondering if anyone has experience of these or a better way to do this . There is talk of noisy 150W invertors etc but I am looking for a good solution.

P>S this is for the UK market

thanks

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:02 AM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2015 7:18 AM in response to dodsworthchris

new Macbook pro (2013 onwards)

However I cant seem to find the definitive answer or an up to date one.

If the MBPs are still under warranty and/or have AppleCare, call them. The reps there should be able to advise you.

Or call Apple Customer Relations - 1-800-275-2273 (Sorry I do not know the UK number). Ask politely & firmly that you want to be transferred to Customer Relations. Tell them exactly what you stated in your post.

GOOD LUCK!

Mar 16, 2015 8:42 AM in response to dodsworthchris

Well that was a pointless exercise. Called up Apple UK pre-sales to ask their advice on what car chargers on the market today are both suitable for use on Macbook Pro and maybe their suggestions given they dont sell any themselves. The apple sales/customer support simply stated

" Apple do not sell any car chargers and therefore cannot recommend or suggest any products "

Well done Apple, looks like that large order of Macbook Pros' is on hold until you give a solution !

May 23, 2016 2:25 PM in response to dodsworthchris

Hey Chris,

I wonder if you ever found an answer, please post again if so? I'm looking for something now, I don't have such a heavy power need with my Macbook Air. Have found a few Magsafe2 12v DC versions. I don't want to go down the inverter route as it wastes too much power in heat and fan noise. DC to DC looks most efficient.

Interested to know how all the reps managed to max out Macbook Pro's to need the full 85 watts? Are they all 4k 120fps professional editors or perhaps they operate multi-thread game services?

Maybe they're just old kit?

Also UK based.

Rich

Car charging (12V) to Macbook Pro Magsafe 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.