Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook pro does not recognize my external speakers after Yosemite update

After updating to Yosemite 10.10.2, my macbook pro does not recognize my Bose Companion 5 speakers. It only gives me the option for internal speakers when I look in Sound under System Preferences. I've tried different usb ports and cords. Any help is much appreciated. I have also recently purchased an apple-tv, so I don't know if that would affect it or not.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 5:58 AM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Gimgee

Hello Gimgee,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that you are not able to hear sound form your external speakers when they are connected to your MacBook Pro running Yosemite. In this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the information located in the attached article to help resolve this sound issue.

OS X Yosemite: If you can’t hear sound from your speakers

Have a great day,

Joe

Mar 5, 2015 1:02 PM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you for responding, Joe_7399,

Unfortunately, the article does not help because the external speakers are not recognized--in other words, they don't even show up as an option in "Sound" under System Preferences, so I can't click on them. The usb ports work when using a printer, and I've tried a new cable for the Bose speakers in case it was the cable. It worked before the update. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.

Gimgee

Mar 5, 2015 1:39 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks ginger,

I just tried resetting pram again and still the only option under sound output is "Internal speakers." I'm not sure what you mean by "Look in the audio out port to make sure it does not show red." Do you mean look at the USB port where I have the speakers plugged in? It looks clean, and it works with printers, so I don't think it's the port.

Gimgee

my macbook pro does not recognize my external speakers after Yosemite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.