Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 Refurb?

Hi all,

I have just been given an iMac G5 from a friend of mine. I was hoping to clean it up and attempt to run the Logic 9 app on it for basic music making needs. Unfortunately the system doesn't have the tech requirements to run this so I am having to use a very early version of Garage Band for this in the mean time.

I have flicked across some YouTube videos to see how I can refurb it but still a little confused.

Is it possible for me to update OS and RAM so I can use the G5 smooth enough to run Logic or other music software? (I don't have the User admin password to make any changes if this would be required).

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:20 AM

6 replies

Mar 4, 2015 7:31 AM in response to pikeman0904

Welcome!

All pre-Intel Macs, including your iMac G5, are hardware-constrained to running nothing higher than Mac OS 10.5.8, which you appear to have now.

As for RAM, that depends on two things: a) what iMac G5 variant you have, and b) how much RAM is currently installed.

You can see what is currently installed by doing "About this Mac" from your Apple menu:

User uploaded file

What does the "Memory" line read on your computer?

Now, while in the same window, click "More Info" so we can get your exact variant. That give you a screen similar to this:

User uploaded file

I've indicated the location of the important code with the red arrow, although yours will start with "Powermac." I can help to also post your screen size measure diagonally; the options are 17 and 20 inches. With that code we can see if a RAM upgrade is possible.

Mar 4, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan and thanks for replying. Sorry I wasn't more specific before.

Here's the current Spec -

MAC OS X - 10.5.8

Processor - 1.8GHz Power PC G5

Memory - 1 GB

Logic 9 Spec - (App I'm hoping to use)

Operating system - OS X (10.9 and later) - now aware I would need to update the OS

Size 1.05 GB - now aware I would need to update the OS and the memory

I know the G5 is mega old so I just want to clarify is it as easy as me just buying OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard and some more RAM?

With regards to the password. It was passed on from a friend who got it from her friend so that person has the person who we unfortunately cant make contact with at the moment.

Hope this helps?

Thanks again

Mar 4, 2015 8:39 AM in response to pikeman0904

The max RAM possible in a 1.8Ghz G5 iMac is 2GB, but that doesn't solve the issue of having an obsolete processor.

With regards to the password. It was passed on from a friend who got it from her friend so that person has the person who we unfortunately cant make contact with at the moment.

Did you get the original disks that came with the computer?

Mar 4, 2015 3:52 PM in response to pikeman0904

Supports ppc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Logic-Pro-8-Full-Retail-Install-Logic-Studio-1-/30 1551885052?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4635e49afc

--------------------------------------------------------------

Changing password from single user mode:

You can also change the administrator's password from single user mode or create a new administrator account.

You need to get into single use mode for steps one and two that are listed below.

This page will tell you how to get into single user mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1492

Basically, you hold down the command + s key then powering on your machine. The command key has a little apple symbol on the lower left. It is between the alt/option key and the space bar. On a PC keyboard, it will be the windows key, I think.

1) You can change the password on an account. ( Do you know Unix. You are in a Unix single user console. ) The setup commands you need should be listed on the screen. For Mac OS 10.4.11, the commands are:

# Type the follow two instructions to access the startup disk in read/write.

# check out the filesystem.

# ( in case of partial success repeat this command until errors go away. )

/sbin/fsck -fy

# Gain read / write access to your startup drive

/sbin/mount -uw /

->Start up some utility processes that are needed.

sh /etc/rc

->You will probably need to press the return key once the system stops typing.

->To find out the users on the system type, use the ls command. The l is a lower case L:

ls /Users

->One of these accounts will be the administrator.

->Pick one of the users which I'll call a-user-name and type it in this command:

passwd a-user-name

->and enter the new user password. You need six characters.

->You will need to enter your password twice. Your typing will not show up on the screen just

-> press enter when you complete the typing.

->For cryptic information on these commands try:

man ls

man passwd

iMac G5 Refurb?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.