Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can hear my music but cannot access photos nor videos

Had not used Apple TV (model 1378 - 2nd gen) for a year or so. It's up to date. Using Wi-Fi, I was able to connect computer and TV. From the menu, I'm able to access my music on Itunes and listen to my music but when i tried to watch my movies or access my photos, it "tried" to connect forever.

AppleTV 2, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:04 PM

Hey there hertman,

Sounds like you are seeing issues with Home Sharing on your Apple TV. Here is an article for you that will help you address this with the proper troubleshooting steps:

Troubleshooting Home Sharing - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203311

Thanks for being a part of the Apple Support Communities!

Regards,

Braden

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 1:04 PM in response to hertman

Hey there hertman,

Sounds like you are seeing issues with Home Sharing on your Apple TV. Here is an article for you that will help you address this with the proper troubleshooting steps:

Regards,

Braden

Mar 5, 2015 8:10 PM in response to braden85

Thanks Braden85

I read carefully all related material you suggested.

I still can't access photos and films i have in iTunes from the TV. But (?) i can choose and listen to all the music! Is music (sound) managed separately from Video and Photos?

On my TV I can see what I have in iTunes (photos, films and music) - EVERYTHING is right there in front of me and I can go from one to another (photos, music, films) but as soon as I choose a picture or a film, it goes into the rolling ball mode and i wait and wait and it never stops until, fed up, I go back in the Menu with my Apple Control. I verified that i had enabled Home Sharing with the correct Apple ID... and i did the same on the computer (i deactivated and reactivated for the sake of "waking" it up).

NOTE : until last Fall i was with a Cable company for my computer and TV while my phone was with Bell Phone Co. I never had any problems then. This is the first time I'ved tried to access my computer through AppleTV since then. Bell is my sole provider now for all services (phone, cell, TVs and Computers). I now use the Bell router.

The iMac (Mavericks) has the latest update and so does iTunes and the AppleTV gen 2.

I FIND IT ODD that i can get to my music in itunes but not the photos and films. Does that seem odd to you too? THANKS...

Mar 6, 2015 1:58 PM in response to hertman

Hi hertman,

You may want to make sure this setting is selected correctly since you are only having issues with your photos:

Note: If you can't see your photos on Apple TV (2nd generation and 3rd generation) using Home Sharing, in iTunes choose File > Home Sharing > Choose Photos to Share with Apple TV… and make sure that the checkbox next to Share Photos From is enabled.

You may want to try restoring your Apple TV if you have checked your firewall settings and still cannot access some aspects of Home Sharing:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Restoring your Apple TV - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202118

Cheers,

Braden

Mar 6, 2015 6:57 PM in response to braden85

Hi and thanks again,

This is becoming a complex problem:-) Your info has been helpful in helping me understanding the mechanics but everything on my computer seems to be in accordance with the readings you've proposed.

As i've stated before, I can connect with my computer from the TV that AppleTV is connected to. I can access my iTunes music folder and listen to my choices. It's when i go the the film and photo folders that the problem arises. I've tried a lot of things including entering my Apple ID on the computer via Apple TV.

Then something strange happenned : it tried to reach the iTune Store and failed. Tried again and eventually got the message to try later!!!

I then tried doing the same thing via iTunes on my computer without any problems.

I'm wondering: should I connect AppleTV directly to my computer (which is really a big deal cause there is no easy way to do that without leaving the cable lying about). With Bell i'm connected via the phone line... is that the problem I wonder... Strange. Never had problems connecting before i changed companies. Used to be a cable took care of both my computers and my TVs while Another company (BELL) took care of phone and cell. Now BELL takes care of everything but the phone line is used for the Phone, Cell and Computer while TV is taken care by their Satellite Dish on the roof...

Got a feeling...

What do you think? I hate asking Bell, they're not too bright when it comes to being helpful with Mac products. :-)

Can hear my music but cannot access photos nor videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.