Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I currently have 30,000 photos in my i photo library in300 events. Ientally ad. I add photos each day to different events over many years. Currently I download my photos on one of my 6 MacBooks , and eventually I synch the photos to my phone

i have 30,000 photos in 300 events in I photo.

i Add photos each day into different events

i have to manually add the photos into one of my 5 MacBooks , synch to my phone and then synch each device to have all my photos be up to date with each event

is there now a way to add photos to my 30,000 photo library on just one device anfd have all my devices synched perfectly through the cloud into events exactly as it appears on my first device ...like our contacts or other synched items on the cloud?

it is critical that the events are maintained and the photos go exactly into place?

photo stream is not the answer

thanks

Knickfan 1970

iPhoto '11, I photo question 30,000 photos

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:53 AM

13 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:08 AM in response to LarryHN

HI Larry

IF I understand this correctly , the new app for photos will allow a user like me with 30, 000 photos and multiple events to add the photos on one device ( one of my MacBooks). And then it will synch to the cloud but NOT appear on my other devices ? So you one would have to either:

1- log on to I cloud and view the changes or

2- manually synch each device like I have been doing for years

this would not be a " true synching ". (Like our contacts or notes or pages)

what is the point of allowing 30,000 photos to sit on a cloud but not synch to all our devices ?

isn' this the entire premise for the apple / cloud concept?

thanks for helping me understand what is going on for us professionals

Mar 4, 2015 9:20 AM in response to Knickfan1970

what is the point of allowing 30,000 photos to sit on a cloud but not synch to all our devices ?

isn' this the entire premise for the apple / cloud concept?

Have a look at Apple's documentation - see the links below. That s all we know and are allowed to discuss here:

When Photos OS X will be available, you can add a photo on one Mac to your iCloud Photos library. This Library will be visible on all devices, if you enable iCloud Photos library on all of them.

What actually will download to your devices will depend on your settings for "Optimize Storage" on each device. You will be able to decide if you want to download all photos in the full resolution if the space permits it or to opt for downloading only optimized smaller previews. This setting is individual for each of your device.

Mar 4, 2015 10:15 AM in response to Knickfan1970

I wouldn't worry too much about it as the moment, because when Photos is released they'll seem insignificant by comparison!

Events has been removed from Photos - it's replaced by 'Moments'.

'Moments' are like 'Events', but split up by the software and you have no control over what goes where, or what they're called. If you've got 300 Events now, you can look forward to about 3,000 'Moments'.

Photos will sync all the photos across your devices (which is what you want), but I suspect (like I've found) that the transition from 'Events' to 'Moments' is going to leave you tearing your hair out.

Mar 4, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence:

so that sounds like better news...I should be OK when this happens?

Essentially my events become albums...I still have the separation ..correct?

Why would this be a problem?

This was a response from an earlier post from Vanoord that concerned me: quote..see next-

Events has been removed from Photos - it's replaced by 'Moments'.

'Moments' are like 'Events', but split up by the software and you have no control over what goes where, or what they're called. If you've got 300 Events now, you can look forward to about 3,000 'Moments'.

This response implies that all my 300 events will become separated into thousands of moments. What does this mean? Is this true?

Won't my Events just become albums as you suggested?

I have years of events that have accumulated and collated photos. They must stay separated.

****the other thing I was unclear about was the synching part..

Example:

I have 300 albums with 30K photos distributed in various numbers in each album ( used to be events according to your response)

I add some photos in each album each day

I set all my devices to the cloud etc...

the cloud synchs from my designated "source" Macbook...

the cloud sees this and uploads

then the confusing part...the other devices ( MacBooks, I pad, i phone) all will see the synch and can then be designated to download to each device in the original form as we view it on a Macbook or i phone? What does "full resolution" or optimized previews mean as Leonie replied above?

I need my JPEG images for my education keynote presentations and e mailing images as required from each event as needed ( soon to be albums)

Thanks again...just want to understand what is going to happen

Mar 4, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Knickfan1970

Yes, Events will become albums.

but you already have Albums and you're using Events as a primary means of organising.

Moments replaces Events, but you have no control over how photographs are organised. They are utterly infuriating.

Okay, it will be possible to use Albums in the way we were using Events, but it's nowhere near as simple, as fool-proof or as logical.

Mar 4, 2015 1:41 PM in response to Knickfan1970

Couple of things:

1. Photos is in beta and not released yet. We have to assume that it may not be feature complete, and other features may be added.

2. When the app is released many people to tear their hair out. That always happens. For some folks this appears to be a standard operating procedure. Not all of this hair loss will be required.

3. At the moment, with the beta release, you can open the Library with Photos in a lossless way, so if you're not happy, your iPhoto Library is untouched. This may or may not continue to be the case, but I would expect that whatever happens on release it will be possible to revert to iPhoto.

4. New apps bring new ways of doing things. There will be a learning curve. You may not be able to do all the things you currently do. You may not be able to do the things you currently do in the same way, and may have to adjust your workflow.

5. At this time it would appear that you will have Moments. These will be based on the date/time of shooting and location, if that's available. You will not have "thousands". You will also Albums. The Albums will reflect your current structure.

The upside, as far as I can see, with Photos is the Library in the Cloud and all your images available and editable on all your devices. There are also improved editing tools. The organisation system is different and will require some rethinking.

Photos may not be the app for you, just like iPhoto is not the app for everybody.

I currently have 30,000 photos in my i photo library in300 events. Ientally ad. I add photos each day to different events over many years. Currently I download my photos on one of my 6 MacBooks , and eventually I synch the photos to my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.