Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get my Apple ID off my daughters iPhone that I gave her as a present? She Can't update anything without it going to my Apple ID password entry screen.

I need to get my Apple ID off of my old iPhone 5. I gifted my old iPhone 5 to my daughter as I got the new iPhone 6. I of course have no problems but my daughter can't update anything really without the store telling her to enter my password for my Apple Id. This is my third iPhone and I have never run across this problem before due to the fact my iPhone was never in great condition (#1) or I lost it and had to go retool at a retail store (#2). If there is any help for a poor guy like me let me know I'm racking my brains trying to tackle this one and it's not looking good for me. Thanks for trying to lend your expertise everyone.

Robert May

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3, 2012-13 originally purchased

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:45 AM

The Apps on the iPhone are tied to the Apple Id that purchased them. They can't be switched to another Apple ID.

The way to eliminate the problem is to delete the Apps in question and reinstall them under her Apple ID.

6 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:42 AM in response to robertfromtaichung city

OK, so as for the rookie mistake - not really (except for the Apple ID ownership) as you would have had to purchase it separately for your Mac under any circumstances. iOS Pages and OSx pages are two separate apps.

Anyway, the apps that are asking for your Apple ID password are the ones that you purchased with your Apple ID. As she is doing updates, if she encounters one of these, then she should delete that app and re-purchase or re-download it (if free) to her device. Make sure her Apple ID is the one that is signed on to the iTunes & App Store on the device: Settings>iTunes & App Store.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 4, 2015 9:30 PM in response to gail from maine

I am trying to delete every app I had on the phone i.e. Translators and Dropbox and messengers but don't know when to stop because I still see password screen through the updates that still says my account. I also have rechecked that she is logged in at the store, iCloud and all other possible apps she has going on besides her games. I think backing up photos and Her Line app was most precious to her would be best. My last question is that, once I delete it and re install it under her signed in ID the updates won't automatically ask for my password? It will go straight to her account and password screen, correct?

Thanks. Sorry for the poor following of directions.

Robert

Mar 4, 2015 9:39 PM in response to robertfromtaichung city

Right. To figure out which of the Updates is asking for your ID, do not click Update All. Click on each app, one at at time to Update (this would be under the Update option in the App Store - you will only see apps there with the Update next to them that actually have updates pending). If it asks for the password to your Apple ID, then that app should be deleted.

So, it is good that her ID is the one signed on to everything on the phone now. Once you delete the apps from the phone, then she will purchase new versions of those apps using the App Store on her device. When she does that, the app will be purchased with that ID (or if free, will be associated with that ID since it was the one that downloaded it).

If she is primarily concerned about her Line app and her photos but nothing else, then you can just press on one of the icons on each Home screens until they all wiggle, and then click on the little "x" in the upper left-hand corner of the icon to delete it. Core apps will not have an "x" since they cannot be deleted. So, just delete everything with an "x" except the Line app....

Cheers,

GB

How do I get my Apple ID off my daughters iPhone that I gave her as a present? She Can't update anything without it going to my Apple ID password entry screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.