Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my macbook pro serial number showing as invalid

I have just bought a new 13" retina display Macbook Pro from an online seller. Trying to check it out, apple's website says the serial number is invalid. What the **** have I bought?!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 11:00 AM

When entering the serial number to apple to verify the computer. Then letters are case specific. If you got that right then you need to contact the reseller. They are suppose to be authorize by apple to sell new apple products. If they are a reseller then the serial number should show up in apples data base.You could try using the serial number. to get a description of year and model http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ Then check it against yours.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 11:00 AM in response to eaglesally

When entering the serial number to apple to verify the computer. Then letters are case specific. If you got that right then you need to contact the reseller. They are suppose to be authorize by apple to sell new apple products. If they are a reseller then the serial number should show up in apples data base.You could try using the serial number. to get a description of year and model http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/ Then check it against yours.

Mar 4, 2015 10:59 AM in response to dalstott

Thanks, but unfortunately you have to put in the serial number in order to be able either to call them or start an online chat! Any advice on finding a way round this would be appreciated.

By the way, the asterisks in my first post make it look as though I was swearing violently - but I actually only typed in the name of the place where the devil resides.

Mar 4, 2015 11:20 AM in response to eaglesally

You may have to check the online reseller directly and ask about this matter.

And note they have a different policy of returns and exchanges than Apple

itself. A retail Apple Store or the Apple online (company) store is different

than an authorized independent retailer who resells product. So you should

check with them about a return or replacement. They may also be able to

figure out why they sent you a product that cannot be officially verified.

Good luck in this matter...! 🙂

why is my macbook pro serial number showing as invalid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.