Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used to be able to burn photos onto a CD-R disc. Now I insert a new, blank disc and am told there is insufficient spac available for my selected year of photos. Even when reducing the date to ONE photo, I still get the same message. Confused.

I used to be able to burn a selection of photos from my iPhoto library onto a CD-R disc. Today I inserted a new blank disc and was shown a message that there was insufficient space for my chosen year of photos. Even when I reduced the date to include only ONE photo!- the message was the same. I am at a loss as to why, and what to do. My iMac is about 7 years old and upgraded to Snow leopard. Any bright ideas?

iMac, iphoto burn to CD

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:15 AM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 12:31 AM in response to K.N.Teddington

Well, first the obvious - this is a new/blank CD-R, right?

Secondly, and less obviously - how much room is available on your internal hard drive?

When burning a CD-R, the OS first creates a 'shadow' disk image that replicates what the CD will look like, then it copies that data to the CD-R itself. Therefore you need enough free space on your internal drive to create this temporary image. If your internal hard drive is full you won't be able to create the shadow, and that could be what you're seeing.

Mar 5, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Camelot

Camelot wrote:

When burning a CD-R, the OS first creates a 'shadow' disk image that replicates what the CD will look like, then it copies that data to the CD-R itself. Therefore you need enough free space on your internal drive to create this temporary image. If your internal hard drive is full you won't be able to create the shadow, and that could be what you're seeing.

If the OP's disk is too full to permit the creation of a 700MB disk image, it's a wonder that the computer is functioning.

I used to be able to burn photos onto a CD-R disc. Now I insert a new, blank disc and am told there is insufficient spac available for my selected year of photos. Even when reducing the date to ONE photo, I still get the same message. Confused.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.