Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of Trojan malware on OS X

`My son downloaded a movie app and it seems to have infected my Imac with this Trojan Malware, rendering it impossible to use. Adverts popping up ALL the time and it's just ridiculously slow. My emails are now also 90% spam...I've backed everything up but really don't know what to do next? Shall I take it to an apple store or attempt to clean it myself? Any advice greatly appreciated. Ute

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 7:33 AM

4 replies

Mar 4, 2015 8:32 AM in response to Ute Oz

You inadvertently installed adware. It's not necessary to bring your Mac to an Apple Store, and you do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

For a description of how this may have occurred, how to avoid it in the future, and for Apple's recommended actions read How to install adware. Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

You'll invite spam by divulging your email address on a public forum. Other than that learn about how to manage junk mail by reading these Apple Support documents:

iCloud: Identifying and filtering junk mail - Apple Support

iCloud: Manage junk mail

How to get rid of Trojan malware on OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.