Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BootCamp partition option gone after added a new exFAT partition

Hi..

Original I part my 500G HD into 250G macbook partition of OSX and 250G bootcamp partitions of windows7, and use them happily..

After installed Yosemite 10.10.2, I couldn't found the bootcamp partition option at the startup disk in system preference (I use Paragon-NTFS v9.0.1 to access bootcamp data), that's ok, I still can see the partition option while boot and enter the windows system normally. And recently I found something wrong I didn't know while access bootcamp partition in MacOSX, occasionally it even shutdown or reboot automatically and then run scan disk while enter the windows system... I think there would be something happened while use Paragon-NTFS to access. I heard my friend's advice to use a share disk of exFAT disk between OSX and windows, it sounds nice and safe to do thus for accessing data...

Today I apart a new 30G exFAT partition by Disk Utiliy from macbook partition, then I soon feel the capacity might be not enough to use and change my mind, I delete the 30G partition, and wanna add a new 50G partition, at this time, the Disk Utiliy told me something wrong with macbook partition ( I forget the red message), and ask me to reboot and press command+R to enter the recovery tool on boot to fix it. I did that, originally my default startup disk is bootcamp, I wait for a minute of gray screen and then enter a black screen with a line text to tell me can't found a boot disk. At this time I force shutdown and boot again with pressing option key to show the MBR GUI, then I know I met a big problem.. Oh, no! I cannot see the bootcamp partitial option again!!...

OK.. I still can see my macbook OSX partition on MBR, and I can see my bootcamp partitions, it seems the data still exist, now I increase a 50G exFAT successfully, and check macbook partion ok with Disk Utiliy, and I try to turn off the Paragon-NTFS driver and restart, but I still cannot see the bootcamp startup option on boot...

I had tried to run the WindowSupport.dmg on Disk Utiliy and now I can see the bootcamp option on the pereference of startup disk like following (maybe it's a new different or fake option I think), but I still cannot see the bootcamp option on the boot MBR:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

here is some information of my macbook, even I don't really understand what they mean...

User uploaded file

Could anybody help me to resolve this problem please?.. Thank you so much...!!.. ;(

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2008 second half of production

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:04 AM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Shrdi

Using a MBR BC Windows installation (like you have) limits the number of partitions to 4 (these are EFI, OS X, Recovery HD and Bootcamp). If you add another one, this limit is exceeded.

You have two choices.

1. Remove this partition.

2. Create a new MBR, which means you may not be able to read the OS X partition from the Windows side.

Mar 7, 2015 9:23 PM in response to Loner T

I run the command and got some result as following:

User uploaded file

and restart to enter a screen like:

User uploaded file

so I turn off the power and turn on, press option key to boot :

User uploaded file

It seems the bootcamp option still doesn't come back...

the following is current state of my macbook:

User uploaded file

Maybe I need a clone of bootcamp and make a new one than recovery the original windows?

BootCamp partition option gone after added a new exFAT partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.