Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete photo with exclamation mark in black triangle.

I have deleted a bunch of photos from 'Finder' to make space on my computer, but they still appear on iphoto as an exclamation mark in a triangle. I dont want to recovery these pictures, I just want to delete them. Is there a fast way of doing this?

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 10:09 AM

5 replies

Mar 4, 2015 10:16 AM in response to aem625

Is there a fast way of doing this?

No, not in iPhoto. Aperture can search for photos with missing original image files, but iPhoto not.

It would have been quicker to do the deletion from inside iPhoto. Then the original image files, the Faces, the Previews, and the thumbnails in iPhoto would have been deleted together. Delete all thumbnails with the exclamation point from the Finder, or restore the previous version of your iPhoto Library from your backup, and then delete the Photos using iPhoto.

Mar 4, 2015 10:32 AM in response to aem625

No

You destroyed your iPhoto library by changing it using the finder - you must never do that

Now you must either restore your backup from before you made this error and delete using iphoto

or put every thing back exactly as it was or delete the photos one by one using iphoto a you should have to begin with

or use iPhoto Library Manager to rebuild your library without those photos and without projects and slideshows

or just start over with you original photos

LN

Mar 4, 2015 6:41 PM in response to Billlie

My last backup was few monts ago and the photos are not there...

Then all you've left are the thumbnails you are seeing in the events. Make sure, you save at least those before they are lost too. Select all all photos in an event and drag them to a folder on the Desktop. That should export the thumbnails you are seeing as a JPEG file.

If the photos have been missing for more than a month, even expensive data recovery software will not be able to restore your photos, if you have used the computer since the photos vanished.

Delete photo with exclamation mark in black triangle.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.