Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it so hard to copy an Xcode project?

And this isn't just XCode, I have had the same trouble in VisualC.

Is there any way to copy a project that does not involve mucking with the individual files/

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:36 AM

7 replies

Mar 4, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Never had any problems copying Xcode projects myself. Just copy the top level directory (the one the .xcodeproj file resides in). I've used this to move projects between directories on the same machine as well as copying the project to a new machine.

If you run a clean before doing the copy you'll cut down on the cruff that resides in the project, you'll copy a smaller amount of data and the build in the new location will go easier.

Never used VisualC so can;t comment on that.

Mar 4, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Keith Barkley

I guess I'm missing your point. You asked about copying a project as I wrote I've never had a problem doing it as I outlined.

As for renaming a project that's a different situation as I am sure you realize. And even at that looking at the link you posted the procedure does not seem overly onerous.

And of course there is no need to rename if you are moving or copying a project,

regards

Mar 4, 2015 10:23 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith Barkley wrote:

Yes, but then you have to go through this:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1625/_index.html

to rename things.

I think you didn't see the note on that page that said:

Note: Retired Document

This document has been retired.

This page will be removed in the future. Please update any bookmarks.

I renamed a project the other day in Xcode6.1 without too much effort. Just change the name of the project inside Xcode. Xcode will handle the rest. The only thing it left were a couple of comments and the name of the containing folder. Even there, that was only a couple of places like the InfoPlist file.

Why is it so hard to copy an Xcode project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.