Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware Error 4mot

I ran an Apple Hardware Test and two errors codes came back:

4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1249

and

4MOT/4/40000003:HDD-1265.

Can someone interpret these for me and suggest repair? Thank you.

Apple iMac Core i5 2.5GHz (mid 2011)

4 GB of RAM (1333 MHz PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM)

500 GB (7200 RPM) hard drive

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 9:50 AM

8 replies

Mar 4, 2015 10:19 AM in response to dash3456

Before you do ANYTHING backup the HD completely!

Apple does not publish these codes however I suspect you have HD problems. In order to have the issue properly assessed you should take the machine into an Apple Store or AASP and then you can get a more detailed explanation. Bring the codes with you for them to look at.

You can also run Disk Utility and in the Recovery Partition of Yosemite and run Repair Disk, if the disk does not fully repair after 2-3 passes get it changed out immediately. However I suspect the disk should probably be replaced anyway.

Mar 4, 2015 10:52 AM in response to dash3456

dash3456 wrote:

Thank you. I've read elsewhere that it could be simply a heat issue. I have noticed that the top of my iMac, where the vents are, is very warm but can't be sure if it's warmer than normal. Thoughts? Thanks.

Don't try and troubleshoot it yourself, you don't have adequate tools. babowa and I have both suggested what the next step is, which is take it in for service.

The vent you are feeling is the exhaust vent which expels warm air. You can open the RAM door and vacuum out any dust that has accumulated however I doubt that will have any affect on the condition of the machine.

Mar 7, 2015 11:21 PM in response to dash3456

I booted it in OS X Recovery and ran repair disk in Disk Utility. The HD came back OK. Took it to Apple. They ran several tests and found nothing. Fans, HD, etc...all passed. Reinstalled Yosemite and it's running fine. The only thing that wasn't run was Apple Service Diagnostics (ASD) which entails leaving it for five days. They didn't feel it was necessary.

Came home and installed additional RAM (which I had planned to do) and it's running smoothly.

Thanks!

Hardware Error 4mot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.