Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Updating iPhoto when upgrading to Yosemite

This isn't so much a question as it is a fix for an issue I came across today.

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro to Yosemite. When I tried to open iPhoto, it told me I needed to upgrade for it to work with Yosemite.

When I did upgrade, it didn't recognize the update and kept showing the application icon with the cross through it. When I tried to run it, it would tell me iPhoto wasn't compatible with Yosemite and I needed to upgrade. But when I tried to upgrade via the App Store, nothing would happen. I visited the forum and found a post saying to delete the old application file and then try to upgrade. It said I wouldn't lose my photo library. I tried that fix and now I'm running iPhoto 9.6 with no issues after an initial program crash or two. The old library is working fine with the new version after an initial update required by the software.

So my advice to anyone updating to Yosemite and needing to update iPhoto - delete the old application and things should proceed smoothly.

My thanks to Megjack for his question and for the responses from jpcrown21 and Terence Devlin.

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 8:48 AM

And always backup your iphoto library prior to any update/upgrade just in case

bas things do happen

LN

7 replies

Issues Updating iPhoto when upgrading to Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.